If there is any OEM that knows how to take advantage of the newest trends in technology to stay ahead of the game it has to be Samsung. With the launch of the S6 Edge alongside the flagship S6 model was a bold move and one which wasn’t seen in recent times. The S6 Edge is almost similar to the S6 except for amazing curved screen from edges to add to the already vast features that the S6 possessed.
Now it was only fitting that there continue to be improvements in the OS running on the device to allow developers to start taking advantage of the curved screen. That’s where the latest update from Google, the Android 5.1.1 lollipop update came in.
The 5.1.1 update which was first released by T-Mobile in the US, is now officially being seeded Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, AT&T as well as the international models. The 5.1.1 update brings you the ability to remove some of the toggles from the Notifications drop-down panel such as Quick Connect and S-Finder which weren’t that frequently used. Along with RAW support, lower ISO values it also gives manual control of the shutter speed to the camera sensor.
If you haven’t received the update on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge then check out our post on how to Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925P).
However, if you have already received the update then you must have noticed that it wipes away the root privileges and custom recovery installed. Well worry not, just follow this guide and you will be back to running TWRP recovery along with SuperSU access.
Disclaimer: Installing the TWRP recovery will void your device’s warranty, as it will trip the KNOX flag. The following procedure is highly risky and there are chances that you may brick your phone of not performed correctly, DroidViews cannot be held responsible it that happens. So the user should tread cautiously and at their own risk.
Before we begin as usual you’ll need to ensure a few things first.
- Confirm you are using the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge(SM – G920P)
- Enable USB-Debugging from Developer Options in the Settings menu.
- Enable OEM Unlocking from Developer Options in the Settings menu. It’s important and you need this to be able to flash anything on your S6 Edge
- Ensure that you have at least 80-85% of battery.
- Ensure you have all the necessary USB Drivers installed on your PC (Download from here).
- Download the Odin flashing tool and extract the downloaded zip to your PC, so now you have 10.6 folder: Odin3 v3.10.6.zip
- Ensure you have a backup of all your personal data.
- For Contacts, Calendar and People details use Google Accounts Sync to backup
- For Apps and App Data check out our detailed post.
Downloads this Odin flashable file and keep them on your desktop.
TWRP: Download here
How to Root and get TWRP
Flash the twrp.tar file using our detailed guide on How to Install Stock Firmware on Samsung Galaxy Devices Using Odin.
IMPORTANT: Don’t allow your phone to reboot into the system after the Odin flash. TWRP is being overwritten. Boot to recovery immediately after the Odin flash.
And you are good to go, you have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge running Lollipop 5.1.1!
If you faced any problems during boot up or flashing do let us know in the comments section below.