The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge duo are undoubtedly the better looking Android smartphones in the market right now and probably the best from the house of Samsung. Looks aside, both the devices are extremely powerful under the hood with all the top-notch hardware. However powerful may be the devices are, you can improve the performance further and extend the customizability and functionality of the device by rooting the device. Additionally, a custom recovery would be a perfect companion to the users who wish to flash custom ROMs and mods on their devices.
Unfortunately, the T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Edge doesn’t have any official custom recovery which means it’s not possible to take nandroid backups of the device incase your luck runs out while tweaking the device. Luckily, there are few developers in the XDA forums who came up with the working TWRP recovery for your T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Edge with few minor bugs. The TWRP recovery from bigbiff is fully functional except for the reboot options in the menu which will reboot you to recovery again no matter which damned button you press. You can simply reboot the device by pressing the power button for a few seconds. The deep sleep issue which was faced by many users was also fixed with a patched kernel, so you can go for this recovery if you can live with the reboot issue.
If you don’t want to use an unofficial recovery, you can just root your device using the CF-Auto-Root firmware from Chainfire which was covered by us a while back.
So, if you want to install the unofficial TWRP recovery on your device, let’s get started. Additionally, you can flash the SuperSU zip file to root your device after installing the recovery. Follow the below steps carefully to install TWRP recovery and root your T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Edge.
This Guide is intended only for the T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Edge, not for any other variant or device of Samsung. Be extra cautious when you choose the firmware builds as flashing wrong firmwares might result in a bricked device. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process, we shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
Prepare Your Device
- Charge your Galaxy S6 Edge above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging: Link
- Install Required USB Drivers: Link
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
- Download the Odin flashing tool and extract the downloaded zip to your PC, so now you have Odin3.10.6 folder: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip
Install TWRP Recovery on T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Edge & Root it
- Download the TWRP recovery file and place it in the same folder where you’ve extracted the Odin files: twrp-126.96.36.199-zeroltetmo.img.tar
- Double-click Odin3-v3.10.6.exe to launch the program.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable and make sure the device is detected by the PC.
- Boot into the download mode. To do this:
- Power off your phone first.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see Warning screen with Android logo.
- Press Volume Up to acknowledge the warning and boot into download mode
- In Odin, click AP button and select the twrp-188.8.131.52-zeroltetmo.img.tar file.
- Make sure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time check boxes are enabled in Odin. Do not select the Re-Partition option in this case.
- Finally, hit the start button and wait until the firmware is flashed. Once completed, the device will reboot automatically.
This installs the TWRP recovery on your T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Edge. Now follow the below procedure to root your device.
- Download the latest version of the SuperSU from the Chainfire’s website and transfer it to the internal storage of the device: Click here to Download
- Boot into the recovery mode. To do this:
- Power off your phone first.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home together until you see Warning screen with Android logo.
- In the TWRP menu, tap the Install button and flash the SuperSU zip from the internal storage.
- Reboot the system once the flashing is complete.
Deep Sleep Bug Fix:
Once you’ve installed the TWRP recovery, you’ll face issues with the deep sleep which is a kernel issue. So, you’ve to flash the patched kernel from eousphoros to fix this issue. Download the patched kernel from below and flash it using Flashify app.
- Download Patched Kernel
That’s it folks, it’s a bit of process but that’s what all we could dig up right now. Kindly let us know of any issues in the comments section below.