Honor 5x is the latest offering by Huawei in the budget segment. With the great success of Huawei Nexus 6P and Mate8, Huawei is looking to expand its smartphone business all over the world. This time, they have launched Honor 5x simultaneously in many countries including USA, India, and European countries to expand its business globally.
Honor 5x comes with a budget price tag but has a premium design with all metal body. The honor 5X has an octa-core Snapdragon 616 CPU with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage with microSD expansion up to 128GB. The 3,000mAh battery with SmartPower, a power saving feature can help extend battery life up to a day and a half with moderate usage. The 13MP camera has an f2.0 aperture while the 5MP front-facing camera has an f2.4 lens. On the back, the honor 5X has a fingerprint sensor that the company claims improves over time with usage.
Honor 5x has all the power and specs to impress a budget user. But one may/may not like the EMUI, the customized Android skin made by Huawei. You may root your Honor 5x to customize its software to your liking. Follow the steps given below to install TWRP and root your device.
Things You Will Need
Steps to Root Huawei Honor 5X
- Make a Huawei ID at this link.
- Log in and fill out the details needed: https://goo.gl/VEKvXY
- To get the product identification code, in the phone’s dial-up interface, enter * # * # 1357946 # * # *.
- Now that you have your unlock code go to about phone in settings and click the build number until it tells you that you are a developer. Then go back once and select developer options and look for USB debugging and turn it on.
- Enable Developer settings by going to Settings > About phone and keep tapping build number until it says you are a developer. Once that is done go back to the main settings and go to developer settings and enable OEM Unlock.
- You would need ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer, but if do not have them installed follow this guide to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot in seconds, “How to Install Adb and Fastboot Within Seconds“.
- Plug your device into the computer and authorize your device key so ADB will work, then type the following commands in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot window:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once it boots into the bootloader do the following command:
fastboot oem unlock 2062712452147427 (change the unlock code to yours)
- Where numbers are put what you got from the website(unlock code). Keep in mind the above step will wipe your data so if you have any personal data back it up first.
- Boot up the phone and set it up.
- Download the TWRP recovery image for the link given above and copy it to the folder Minimal Fastboot and ADB.
- Boot back into the bootloader by typing the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Flash the recovery with the following command: Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp_kiwi.img
- Once it finishes, type the following command:
- Download SuperSU zip from the link given above and copy it your device.
- Boot into recovery by typing the following:
adb reboot recovery
- This will boot TWRP on your device, select Install and browse for the copied SuperSU zip file and then swipe to confirm/Install it.
- Reboot your device.
Enjoy root access on your Huawei Honor 5x. Let us know if you have any queries regarding the above process in the comments section below.