Honor 5X is one of the most successful phones from Huawei and it has a huge appeal in the market. The build quality of the device is exceptionally good considering the price bracket of the device. Honor 5X comes with a heavily customized version of Android OS called EMUI which has its own perks. There’s isn’t anything wrong with EMUI but stock Android OS is the most preferred among Android lovers due to its smooth interface and a bug-free environment.
A month ago, we have already covered an unofficial version of CM13 for Honor 5X which has few bugs and doesn’t qualify as a daily driver. Well, you don’t have to deal with them anymore as the Honor 5X successfully entered the list of official CyanogenMod supported devices. LineageOS ROM is now available for Honor 5X which is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and it gets regular updates from LineageOS community. So, let’s see how to download and install official LineageOS on Honor 5X (KIW-L24 / L22 / L21).
To install the Official LineageOS on Honor 5X, your devices should have a custom recovery installed. If you haven’t yet installed a custom recovery on your device, you can follow the below guide.
Download the below files to flash on your device. The CM13 ROM is required to install the Marshmallow OS on your device and the Gapps package contains all the required Google apps and framework.
- Download Honor 5X LineageOS ROM: lineage-14.1-2018xxxx-nightly-kiwi-signed.zip
- Download Gapps for Honor 5X
How to Install Official LineageOS on Honor 5X
- Download the LineageOS ROM and the Gapps package and transfer them to your device.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode:
- Power off your device and wait until proper shutdown.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time until the device boots into the recovery mode.
- Take a full nandroid backup of your device to be on the safe side. You can refer our detailed guide on nandroid backups from here.
- Make a complete wipe of the device if you’re coming from non-LineageOS ROMs, else you can just wipe the cache and Dalvik cache to proceed.
- Once completed, hit the back button and select install zip to install the ROM on your device.
- Navigate to the location of LineageOS ROM file and select it. Confirm your action by swiping on the screen to install the ROM.
- Once the ROM is installed, install the Gapps package as well to install the Google apps and services.
- Finally, reboot the device by clicking on Reboot » System.
The first boot might take a long time as the system will build cache for the first time, so be patient while the device is booting. Don’t interrupt the booting process unless you want to brick your device. Feel free to reach us in the comments section below regarding any queries.