The Xperia Z is the latest flagship from the Japanese manufacturer Sony and it created a great buzz when it was showcased at the CES event at Las Vegas. The new phone features the latest version of the Sony Xperia Home Launcher which was leaked back in December last year but it was compatible only with the Xperia smartphones.
The exclusive attribute of the new Xperia Z launcher has now been demolished by XDA member ThilinaC who has successfully ported this launcher to Samsung’s recent Android flagships like the Galaxy S2, S3, Note and Note 2. The users of these devices can now have that launcher running on them. The launcher, however, has been reported to work on non-Samsung phones too. So, if you any other phone on ICS or JB, you can try flashing it. It should be noted that having just an phone with Android 4.0 and above does not make you eligible enough to install the Sony Xperia Z launcher and widgets. You must have a rooted phone with a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP recovery installed on it.
If you do not have a rooted phone, or if you are not willing to flash the Xperia launcher via CWM, you can still compensate with these launcher apps.
Xperia Z Launcher Features:
The Xperia Z launcher gets you the following features:
- Xperia widgets
- Xperia Clock Widgets
- Xperia Weather Widget
- Xperia Recent calls Widget
- Xperia On\Off Tools Widget
- 6×4 app drawer for xhdpi
- 5×4 app drawer for hdpi
- 4×4 app drawer for mdpi
- Sony Notes app & its widget
- 7 Home screen add/remove support
- Folders in App drawer
- Nice User Interface
- Re-size widgets
How to Install Xperia Z Launcher:
- Make sure you phone is rooted and it is on Android Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean.
- Download the Sony Xperia Z Launcher flashable zip (do not extract): Link 1, Link 2
- Copy the downloaded zip to the root of your phone’s internal or external SD Card memory.
- Turn off your phone and boot it into the ClockworkMod Recovery. If you do not know the method, here it is: press and hold the Volume Up+ Home keys together and then long press the Power button for a few seconds until the screen turns on and you see a black screen with blue text.
- In the recovery mode, use the volume keys to scroll up or down the list of options and the Power key to highlight or select an option.
- Whenever you are going to flash a custom ROM or Mod on your phone, it is always recommended that you take a backup of your current ROM so that you can safely land in case anything goes wrong. Go to the “backup and restore” option and create the backup.
- Then return back to the main menu of CWM and select “install zip from sdcard> choose zip from sdcard”, locate the Xperia_Z_home_port_V2.00_ThilinaC.zip file and select it. Confirm your choice by selecting “yes”.
- This will initiate the installation and the Xperia Z Home Launcher will be installed on to your phone within seconds.
- When it is finished, go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now”.
Your phone will reboot now and it will have the new Xperia Z launcher installed on your device. If your phone does not boots up normally and you get a bootloop, remove the battery of your device, reinsert it after a few seconds, boot into recovery and restore the backed up ROM using “backup and restore” option in CWM.
Xperia Z Launcher Tips:
- To launch the Xperia Z Home Launcher on your phone, press the Home (center) button and select the Xperia Home
- To add a widget or app to the homescreen, or to change the wallpaper, just press and hold any blank space on the homescreen
- To resize a widget, press and hold it and then drag the pointers.
- To set a page as the home page, press and hold the home screen and tap the home icon on the top left corner of the page you would like to set as home.
Download Sony Xperia Z Stock Wallpapers: Link