Here’s great news for the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 users as the device have now received a brand new CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM. Although unofficial, it is a great deal for Tab S2 users who want to try ROM different than the stock one. Being a tablet, receiving the CyanogenMod support will take the device to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop thus making the device even more likable.
It’s not an official release from CyanogenMod, so users may expect some bugs. Some of the functionalities like WiFi, storage, camera are not working with the 2015/12/12 build at the moment. However, with further development, stability improvements and bug fixes can be seen. The CM 12.1 source code has been recompiled for the Tab S2 device and many basic functions have been enabled.
However, in order to install the ROM, you will need to setup TWRP and then flash the ROM and Google Apps simultaneously. To be sure, backup everything before you proceed. This may include the apps, media, documents and all of your internal storage, just in case anything goes wrong.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root or install custom ROM on your device. We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick or damage your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
What’s Not Working with CM 12.1 2015/12/12 build:
- Internal SD card mount
- Screen Rotation
- Samsung Galaxy E5 CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM
- CM 12.1 ROM — Download | File: cm-12.1-20151212-UNOFFICIAL-gts28wifi.zip
- Lollipop Google Apps
- Google Apps — Download | Open Gapps
- The listed custom ROM is compatible with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T710 variant only. Do not try it on any other device or variant.
- Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed on your device. Download and install the latest TWRP for your device from this page.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC so as to transfer the ROM and Google apps to your device’s storage.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
How to Install CyanogenMod 12.1 on Galaxy Tab S2 8.0
- Download the CM 12.1 ROM from the download section. Also download the Google Apps of your choice.
- Now transfer the zip file into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, first turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. If you see the TWRP logo, that means you have successfully booted into the recovery.
- It’s highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To backup your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to backup.
- After performing the ROM backup, perform a full wipe. Return to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe the confirmation button to wipe.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen and tap on the install option. Navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM will be installed.
- Now return to home in the TWRP and tap on the install option. Navigate to the Google apps zip file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
If you see the new boot logo, that means you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. If you come across any boot loop or face system errors, try a factory reset from the recovery or you can always restore your previous ROM from the backup.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know