Motorola’s first 4G enabled handset has great potential. For that to be revealed, you have to install a custom ROM on the device. You can always do pretty much stuff if you have a rooted device and if you love playing with your device. To make your way to custom roms, you first need to get a custom recovery which is like stock recovery but allows you to do pretty much more stuff like flashing a custom kernel, radio, wiping current ROM and flash custom roms. Lets start with it…
Disclaimer: Please proceed at your own risk, droidviews cannot be held responsible if you damage your device during the process. You have been warned!
Before you begin:
1. You should have rooted your Motorola Droid RAZR XT 925. You can refer our detailed guide here:
2. Your bootloader must be unlocked for this to work. You can easily unlock your bootloader from Motorola’s official website here
3. This method works only on a Windows PC, note that.
Get that recovery installed:
- Download the fastboot file and save it on Desktop
- Extract the fastboot archive in a folder on Desktop, you should get fastboot.exe along with some other files.
- Now download the ClockworkMod recovery image and put it in the same folder created above. Note that fastboot.exe and the recovery image file should reside in the same folder for this to work.
- Turn off your phone
- Now we have to get your device into fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button together.
- Scroll down to ‘Fastboot’ with Volume Down key and select it by pressing Volume Up key.
- Plug in the USB cable to and your phone and to your PC.
- Now open the folder where we kept the fastboot files and ClockworkMod recovery file
- Rename the ClockworkMod recovery image to ‘recovery‘ so as to to be easy with issuing commands.
- Now press the ‘Shift’ key on your keyboard and right click on some empty space and select ‘Open command window here’ and you will get a command prompt.
- Now type in the following command into the command prompt window:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Once the flashing is done, reboot your device, enter this command:
- That’s it!
Now you can reboot to recovery and start using it right away. To know the key combinations to boot into recovery or fastboot, head to our exclusive key combinations guide here:
You might also would like to see how to install TWRP recovery on your Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT925: