OnePlus has been the most popular company to have emerged out in the past couple of years as the company has managed to create a hype among the smartphone enthusiasts who want the latest and greatest technology in their next smartphone at a price that comes within the higher budget price range. Now, OnePlus launched their first ever smartphone named as the OnePlus One and this smartphone was marketed as the flagship killer. The smartphone came with the specifications and design that were only seen on the flagship smartphones at that time but at a price that was half the price of flagships. This made the smartphone popular in a very limited time.
Later, OnePlus continued to release the successors to the OnePlus One which was named the OnePlus 2 and later, the OnePlus 3. However, soon after the launch of OnePlus 3, OnePlus decided to release a new smartphone in the same year which was named as the OnePlus 3T which also was the first time that OnePlus launched two smartphones in a calendar year. Now, OnePlus launched the latest flagship killer smartphone earlier this year which was named as the OnePlus 5. This smartphone quickly became the fastest selling smartphone from the company.
Talking about the OnePlus 5, the smartphone was launched with an all-new design that can be seen on the iPhone 7 Plus but there were some personal and fine-tuned touches from OnePlus that made both the smartphones different. One of the features that came with OnePlus 5 was the dual camera setup on the back which came with a horizontal design and the dual camera consisted of one RGB lens and another telephoto lens.
Also, the smartphone was launched with the latest Qualcomm processor for flagship smartphones, the Snapdragon 835 chipset. Apart from the flagship processor, OnePlus 5 also came with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage which was UFS 2.0 for faster I/O speeds. Now, the flagship smartphone was launched by OnePlus with Android 7.1 Nougat based on OxygenOS 4.5 which was the latest version of Android at the time of launch.
However, the latest version of Android named as Android 8.0 Oreo was launched by Google soon after the release of OnePlus 5 and the update to the latest version was pending for the phone ever since. Now, OnePlus has released the latest update to Android 8.0 Oreo for the OnePlus 5 and this is also the first update from OnePlus in the stable channel as the company earlier launched the Open Beta program for the OnePlus 5 to get Android 8.0 Oreo beta. OnePlus also mentions that the update is company’s Christmas Gift for OnePlus 5 users.
One thing we would also like to mention is that Carl Pei, the co-founder of OnePlus mentioned in a tweet that the OnePlus 5 will soon receive the face unlock feature that has been seen on the OnePlus 5T. However, we would like to mention that this feature will come in a future update and the OxygenOS 5.0 update does not include Face Unlock for the OnePlus 5
Now, the latest version of OxygenOS 5.0 installs the latest version of Android, Android 8.0 Oreo on the device. Apart from that, the OnePlus 5 will also be updated to the latest security patch which is the December security patch that was released by Google in the beginning of this month. We have also attached the full changelog that was released by OnePlus on its forums below
Updated to Android O (8.0)
- Optimizations for Shelf
- Now you can upload your photo through Shot on OnePlus
- New Camera UI design
- Optimizations for photo quality
- Added beauty effect for Portrait Mode
- Added “Places” tab for viewing photos on a map
- Added history feature
- Added alarm calendar feature
- Added Parallel Apps feature
- New design for Quick Settings
- New design for Lift up display
- Added “Adaptive model” screen calibration
- Optimizations for Wi-Fi
- Optimizations for Battery Saver
- Updated Android security patch for December
Steps to Install Android Oreo Based OxygenOS 5.0 on OnePlus 5
- First of all, you will have to download the Full ROM zip file from the Downloads section above and transfer the zip file to your device
- After this, head over to your phone and go to Settings -> System updates
- In System Updates, you have to click on the Gear icon seen on the top-right corner which will open the Settings of System updates.
- Now, click on “Local Upgrade” in Settings and you should see the zip file which was downloaded and moved to the root folder on your SD card
- Now, you have to click on this zip file and you will get a popup to ask if you want to upgrade to the latest OTA update as seen below.
- Click on Upgrade Now and your device will reboot after the update has been installed and you will be upgraded to the latest OxygenOS 5.0 update on OnePlus 5
- That’s it. Enjoy your OnePlus 5 with the latest update to OxygenOS 5.0 which will install the latest Android 8.0 Oreo update on your device
Make sure to follow the tutorial properly and you will have your smartphone updated to Android 8.0 Oreo with the latest version of OxygenOS on your OnePlus 5.