Release of Android Lollipop 5.1 is probably the most happening news this month, it has bought some real worthy features as well as enhancements to Lollipop 5.0. We have already recently covered a detailed overview of Lollipop 5.1 and its features. Of all the Nexus lineup, only a few including the Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 have received the official factory images, but others like the Nexus 6 have also started to receive the over-the-air updates.
XDA member oldblue910 has managed to grab the OTA update zip to be installed manually. The update can be easily sideloaded over a Nexus 6 smartphone running stock Lollipop 5.0.1 LRX22C via the stock recovery and a few ADB commands. The advantage of an OTA over Factory Image is that it doesn’t tend to erase your device or make you lose any data, everything stays intact. Below we will list the procedure to sideload Android Lollipop 5.1 on Nexus 6. So, if you’re an excited peep like me, with zero patience, go ahead and update using this guide.
Installing updates manually is a risky procedure if done wrong. Understand the process and follow everything to-a-T. DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any kind of damage or loss of your device. You shall proceed only at your own risk and understanding.
Get Your Device Ready
Now, before we go further with instructions, its necessary to complete a few requirements.
- Backup everything, just in case anything goes wrong. This includes device storage, SMS, contacts, apps etc.
- Charge your device to at least 60% to avoid any uncertain shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB debugging in Settings > Developer options. If you don’t know how, follow our detailed guide here.
- Download the OTA update zip from below.
- Download the adb files and extract its content to the location where the OTA update zip is present.
- OTA update Zip [LMY47D from LRX22C]: Link
- Make sure to setup Android SDK on your computer or simply download the following files: adb-and-fastboot.zip
Sideload Android 5.1 OTA on Nexus 6
- Extract the adb-and-fastboot.zip and open the unzipped folder.
- Rename the downloaded OTA file as update.zip and copy it to the “adb-and-fastboot” folder.
- Now click at an empty space in the folder, press SHIFT key + right-click.
- Select Open command window here from the pop-up menu that appears.
- Power off your Nexus 6.
- Press the Volume Down and Power buttons altogether until you see the bootloader mode , and release the keys.
- Now, press the Volume Down key until you see Recovery mode highlighted and press the power button to select it,
- The phone will reboot and display an Android bot with warning sign.
- Press and hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up key once.
- Nexus 6 will now enter the stock recovery mode displaying Android system recovery <3e> on the top of the screen.
- Connect the phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Now use Volume keys to highlight apply update from ADB and press the Power button.
- The ADB screen will appear, turn over to the CMD window opened earlier and type in the following command:
adb sideload update.zip
- The update will take a bit of time since its large file.
- Once done, the recovery mode will be enlightened again. Select reboot system now using the Power button.
You can now enjoy Android Lollipop 5.1 on Nexus 6. Tell us your opinion via the comments, it’s valuable to us and will help us build a better community.