It has been a few days since Google Officially launched the latest version of Android, Android Oreo 8.0 but the world has still not stopped talking about it. While as of now only the Google Nexus and the Pixel devices have received the update, it won’t be long before other popular OEMs send the Oreo update to their devices.
However, it is true that not all phone manufacturers send out the latest updates at the same time and it might take at least a few more months before they develop a port which is compatible with their exclusive software.
But, the beauty of Android is that it is open source in nature which means anyone can get their hands on the code used to develop it and create a version out of it. That is how custom ROMs are developed and luckily, one developer over at the XDA Forums have created an unofficial Android Oreo 8.0 Port for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and Note 3 Pro.
The latest version of Android Oreo brings in a lot of new features to the table like the picture in picture mode, notification badges for app icons, lockscreen shortcuts, and several background optimizations. The unofficial port of Android Oreo 8.0 is compatible with both Redmi Note 3 and Redmi Note Pro Snapdragon versions.
The ROM is based on AOSP which means, instead of MIUI it will come with stock Android, which is the purest form of Android running in Google devices with no bloatware or unnecessary features. However, the ROM is still in its development stage and a stable build has not been released yet.
So, you have to keep in mind that some features like VoLTE, hotspot, USB Tethering are not working properly and some apps like Netflix are not supported as of now. But essential features like the WiFi, GPS, Mobile data, flashlight, and camera are working without any issue. The port also includes inbuilt Gapps package so you don’t have to flash it separately.
If you want to try out this unofficial port of Android Oreo 8.0 on your Redmi Note 3, then you can follow our guide below. But remember, some of the features as mentioned above are not working currently. So, this ROM may not be ideal for usage as a daily driver. However, you can proceed to install it if you just want to get hands on the latest version of Android.
- Ensure that you have unlocked the bootloader on your Redmi Note 3
- A custom recovery like TWRP installed on your Redmi Note 3
- Make sure that your phone has more than 60% battery left
- Download the AOSP 8.0 ROM for the Redmi Note 3 (Link mentioned in the download section)
Also download: Download MIUI 9, Xiaomi Mi 4C and Mi 5X Stock Wallpapers
In case anything goes wrong, you might end up with a bricked device. It is therefore advised that you do your research before moving ahead if you’ve never flashed a ROM before. DroidViews or even the developers of the ROM aren’t responsible for anything that happens to your device while flashing the ROM.
Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Redmi Note 3 and Note 3 Pro via TWRP
If you have installed TWRP on your Redmi Note 3, then follow the steps mentioned below to install the AOSP 8.0 ROM based on Android Oreo on your device.
- Download the ROM file and then move it to the internal storage of your device.
- Now switch off your device and then reboot into the TWRP recovery.
- You could do this by holding the power and volume buttons for a few seconds until the TWRP recovery screen appears.
- Now go to Wipe And Format Option->Wipe Data, Cache And Dalvik Cache via recovery.
- Now go back to the main menu and then select install
- Browse for the ROM file you previously downloaded and then select it.
- Now swipe the button below to initiate the flashing. Once the process is complete, reboot your device to boot into the Unofficial Port of AOSP 8.0 on your Redmi Note 3/Pro.
You can click on the link here to visit the ROM forum at XDA to interact with the community members and the developer of the ROM.
If you have any doubts regarding the process, feel free to comment below for help.