A new update has been rolling out for the Nexus 5X taking the firmware to Android version 6.0.1 Marshmallow. It is a small update with critical security updates and stability improvements. Following the Nexus 6P, that received the update earlier today, the 5X from LG comes second in the row. Here is full factory image for the device that will restore everything to stock including the recovery.
Factory images for all Nexus devices are available on Google developer page. The latest firmware update, at this moment, is the MMB29K. So if you have not received the update over the air, or you don’t want to wait long for the OTA to hit your device, then this tutorial will get your Nexus 5X to the latest firmware build.
Moreover, if you have modified your stock firmware or have rooted your device, then there are chances that you may not receive the OTA. In order to install the latest available firmware on your Nexus device and restore your device to stock, flashing factory image is the simplest option available. If you have installed a custom ROM then this will help you revert back to everything stock.
Here, we have listed the latest factory image available for the Nexus 5X and using this tutorial, you can flash any version of the factory image on your device. Make sure to backup everything before you proceed.
So let’s begin with the tutorial.
Warning: We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. A full backup is highly recommended as it will wipe all of your app and system data. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- MMB29K (6.0.1) for Nexus 6P
- Official Factory Image — Download | File: bullhead-mmb29k-factory-a5eaf715.tgz
- MMB29K (6.0.0) for Nexus 6P
- Official Factory Image — Download | File: bullhead-mdb08m-factory-5867cc27.tgz
- Factory Images for all Nexus devices — Link
Install Android 6.0.1 MMB29K Firmware on Nexus 5X
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the full Android SDK from here, or get the quick ADB and fastboot installer from here. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install Nexus USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow oem unlock. This is important.
- Download the factory image from above and transfer it to your PC.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. Also accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for the first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Now power off your device and unplug it from your PC.
- Boot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds. When you see the bootloader screen, connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.(Choose fastboot if option is available). Checkout the note below You can also issue the following code while connected to the PC, to boot into the bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now plug in your device to the PC and let the drivers install.
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the factory image file on PC and extract it to get files with .img.
- While the folder with the extracted factory image is open, run the flash-all.bat file on Windows PC and confirm the flashing process. Wait for the process to complete. If you use Linux or Mac OS, run the flash-all.sh file and follow the instructions.
- Once done, reboot the device normally. Once you see the new boot logo, that means the system has successfully been installed.
First boot may take a while, so be patient. If necessary, you may need to unlock bootloader on your Nexus 5X.
For queries, comment down below. If we have helped you, then like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.