Carriers may provide sweet deals on the device you want to own with a contract. You get a $700-$800 flagship device for around $100-$200 with unlimited calls and data with a fixed monthly payment.
But using a device bought from a carrier makes your life tough, you are introduced to a number of bloatware applications by the carrier and certain features are locked down by the carriers. One of the locked down features is mobile hotSpot or WiFi tethering.
WiFi Tethering is a key feature for mobile users, but unfortunately, carriers lock down this feature so that you do not consume more data. Fortunately, if you own a Sprint LG G4 you can enable WiFi Tethering even without Rooting your device by following these simple steps.
Things you will Need
- Sprint LG G4
- And a minute
Steps for ZV6/Lollipop Firmware
- Download and install QuickShortcutMaker from Google Play Store.
- Then search for ‘hidden’ in the search box.
- You will see Service Program Menu tap on it to expand all the activities under it. Then select the activity with IOT Hidden Menu.
- Then click on try which will open the activity for IOT Hidden Menu.
- Now go into LTE Settings > APN Settings then tap on Internet. Scroll down and search for APN Type.
- Tap on APN Type and add following APN type to it ‘dun‘ separating it with a comma and tap on OK.
- To save these settings you need to hold and down Multitasking or the Overview button on the navigation bar, this will bring up the option to save your settings.
- Just tap on Save and you are good to go.
- Now go into Settings app and try to enable Mobile Hotspot. If it works good but if you get a popup saying “Due to network issues, tethering has been disabled”, you need to follow the same steps again but instead of selecting Internet in the APN settings select ‘cinet.spcs’.
Steps for ZV9/Marshmallow Firmware
If you have already updated your LG G4 with the stock Marshmallow (ZV9) software version, you can still enjoy free WiFi hotspot or tethering on your phone. The method to enable it on Marshmallow, however, is a bit lengthy.
- Downgrade your LG G4 to Lollipop (ZV6) firmware. You can later take the Marshmallow OTA.
- When you roll down to Lollipop, use the Steps 1, 2 and 3 from above to get to IOT menu to change APN settings.
- Now select LTE Settings > APN Settings.
- Now tap the square button one on the navigation bar to open Recent app panel.
- Make sure that you have two separate windows (for the ITO and APN menu) open in the Recents panel.
- Now tap the Home button on the navigation bar.
- Go to Settings > About > Software update and upgrade to Marshmallow (ZV9) firmware via OTA.
- When the upgrade finishes and you are prompted to reboot the device, let the phone reboot.
- When your LG G4 boots up, tap the square button one on the navigation bar to open Recent app panel.
- Now tap the APN settings window. You should be able to select the n.ispsn APN again and add dun to APN type. (Note: IOT menu will close if you select it, but it doesn’t matter.)
- You should now have WiFi hotspot enabled on your LG G4 running Marshmallow ROM.
- In Marshmallow, you can pin apps to the recents menu so it can’t be cleared by “clear all”.
Enjoy WiFi tethering on your Sprint LG G4 without rooting. Do let us know your queries in the comments section below.