Flashtool is an all in one tool for Sony Xperia devices old and new, big and small. Right from the very first Xperia X10 to the latest, which currently are the Xperia XZ Premium and XZs, all the Xperia devices, smartphones or tablets, are supported by the flashtool created by developer Androxyde. We already have a guide on how to set it up. Here, you can go ahead and download the Flashtool.
Why use Flashtool?
Because the official tools from Sony do not allow flashing an older firmware, and neither can do anything else that Flashtool does, but most importantly, they stop working once you unlock the bootloader of your device.
This program was originally made to flash sin files downloaded by SEUS or PCC and is based on a command line tool written by Bin4ry (Andreas Makris). The range of functions includes flashing older firmwares, unlocking the boot-loader, re-locking it and in some cases even rooting the device. Flashtool allows you to flash not only official firmwares but also kernels and boot images which need not necessarily be from Sony. Flashtool can also backup and restore TA partitions necessary for restoring the DRM keys after re-locking the bootloader.
Download Flashtool v0.9.23.2 Patch
Replace the original x10flasher.jar in the flashtool folder (C:/flashtool/) with the one below. Xperia C4 and C5 users are advised not to use this version of the Flashtool as it might result in a bricked device. Xperia M5 users should use FSC when flashing or it might brick the device.
- Fixed a bug preventing from creating FTF bundles
Download Flashtool v0.9.23.1
- Changed fsc search logic
Download Flashtool v0.9.23.0
- Fix for Nougat sin files parsing. FT should now be able to flash Nougat FTF
- TA raw backup for all devices exposed to dirtycow exploit (thanks rayman for his work) TA backup using dirtycow by rayman.
- More accurate USB log parser for creating fsc scripts
- In advanced mode, some new TA features (Viewer and custom TA file generator or flashing)
- Added a new device property to tell if fsc is mandatory or not. Check of this property is done before flashing.
- device folder now in flashtool user home folder (move it or resync it from Flashtool Devices Menu
- Java updated to 8u45
- Added Xperifirm integration
- All user files in a Flashtool home folder. Ability to choose this user home folder
- New more exhaustive TA backup using S1 protocol (still not usable to backup DRM. The device must be rooted for that
Official Flashtool from Sony
Other than the unofficial Flashtool from Androxyde, Sony also provides an official flashtool for Xperia devices. It is meant for users who have unlocked their bootloaders and migrated to a custom ROM but wish to come back to the stock Sony ROM. The flashtool from Sony is pretty limited in functionality and will only flash the latest firmware for your device from Sony. There aren’t any downgrading options available nor can you choose which partitions to keep or format. It will wipe everything including your internal storage.
Needless to say, you can not flash any kernel or recovery using it. The official flashtool also is not compatible with every Sony Xperia. The compatibility list is rather short.
Compatible devices as of now:
- Xperia X Compact (F5321)
- Xperia XZ (F8331)
- Xperia E5 (F3311)
- Xperia XA (F3111)
- Xperia X Performance (F8131)
- Xperia M4 Aqua (E2303)
- Xperia Z5 Compact (E5803)
- Xperia Z5 Premium (E6853)
- Xperia Z5 (E6603)
- Xperia Z4 Tablet (SGP771)
- Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (SGP611, SGP612, SGP621)
- Xperia Z3 (D6603)
- Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803)
- Xperia T3 (D5103)
- Xperia E3 (D2203)
- Xperia M2 (D2303)
- Xperia Z2 (D6503)
- Xperia Z2 Tablet (SGP511)
- Xperia Z1 Compact (D5503)
- Xperia Z Ultra (6833)
- Xperia Z1 (C6903)
- Xperia Tablet Z (SGP321 and SGP311)
- Xperia ZL (C6503)
- Xperia Z (C6603)
In any case, if flashing the latest Sony firmware is all you want and you don’t mind losing all your data, you can download the official Sony Flashtool.