Carriers create a huge mess sometimes and put on some really disturbing limitations, especially on legendary smartphones like Galaxy Note II, this is a huge pain. Well, may be they can put limits to the phone but not the geeky minds at XDA-Developers. Many of these minds have successfully bypassed the boundaries and taken this device to its Custom level.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 shall undoubtedly be considered as one of the top trending Android smartphones of the year 2012. With the launch of this 5.5 inch phablet (phone + tablet) running Jellybean 4.1, numerous carriers including Sprint gathered to opt and distribute this device officially with its own carrier tag. And it was in late October when the the device was made public but then the carrier is a boundary.
Today, we shall focus on spending the knowledge of Best Custom ROMs available for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2. We’ve already enlightened the Guide on Rooting, Installing TWRP & Installing a Custom ROM, for your convenience. So, if you still haven’t made your device Custom ready, then seize this time now and follow the simple Guide.
The list here provided is completely based on user feedback, please do not consider it as any “TOP 5 or 10”. The order is miscellaneous.
- Rooted Sprint Galaxy Note 2
- ClockworkMod Installed
- A USB Data cable to transfer files between PC and device.
- Proper USB Drivers. [Download here]
- Backup your data, messages, apps, contacts and calender etc before proceeding.
How to Install a Custom ROM?
These Instructions are to be followed if no specific guidelines have been provided by the ROM developer.
- Download the ROM flash able zip package.
- Download latest Gapps zip package [Goo.im] and Add-ons (if any provided).
- Connect the device to PC in USB storage mode via data cable.
- Transfer the downloaded files in step #1 & #2 to your device’s storage root (not in any folder, for your ease).
- Disconnect the device.
- Reboot into recovery mode following the procedure mentioned in the “Notes” above.
- Tap “wipe data/factory reset” and select “Yes”.
- Tap on “wipe cache partition” and select “Yes”.
- Go to “mounts and storage” > “format /system” & “format /boot”.
- Go to “advanced” > tap “wipe dalvik cache”.
- “Install zip from sdcard“> “choose zip from sdcard”. Select the ROM zip package placed on the root of your storage and select
- “Yes” when prompted to initialize the flashing process.
- When the ROM has flashed successfully, flash the Gapps package over the ROM followed by the add-ons (if any), in the same way as you flashed the ROM.
1. MIUI v4 Unofficial ROM [JB: 4.1.2]
About the ROM
MIUI (pronounced as ” Me You I”) is an Android aftermarket firmware from China, developed by Xiaomi Tech. It is based on Google’s AOSP but is itself closed source. MIUI is marked for its outstanding and heavily modified (coded) User Interface, which to an extent resembles iOS by Apple and TouchWiz by Samsung. The features include Mi-Launcher, Mi-Music, Mi-Gallery, MIUI theme engine, Custom Toggles and several other features and apps which definitely accompanies its user in the best way it can.
lbxmobbin_1 on XDA has managed to port MIUI to the carrier limited Sprint Galaxy Note 2, which is a outcome to his very hard work. This ROM itself is one of the most popular ROM among the Sprint GN2 section. The present build by the developer is MIUI 3.1.11 which was paged out to the users on 21 Jan, 2013. The non-functional features include LTE and Video-Camera which are constantly being worked on and are assured to be fixed very soon, while the developer has already provided a workaround to work on LTE.
As in the views of DroidViews, MIUI is a package for those who prioritize UI on the top without taking performance and speed into consideration. While this ROM is stable enough to be used as a daily handler.
According to the ROM users, it is highly stable and looks completely elegant. The best part being the constant updates by the developer, which is very much appreciated by everyone.
- [Please backup] (Make a Backup Always to be Safe)
- [Clean Wipe]
- clear cache
- clear dalvik
- wipe factory reset
- wipe system
2. ParanoidAndroid 2.56 Unofficial ROM [JB: 4.1.2]
About the ROM
Paranoid Android or PA, in short initiated to build ROMs for Android devices with the release of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and now the ROM is compiled based on the CyanogenMod code. Since the very beginning the Team focused on serving its users with something unique and so they have done and have undoubtedly got themselves listed in the most popular aftermarket firmwares available yet for Android. PA is accounted mainly for the extent to which its UI could be modified, a user can easily change the per-App DPI and per-App colors which surely turns on the colorful beauty. PA user can easily enjoy the UI and Apps of a tablet just by scrolling and tapping on the ParanoidAndroid Settings. Since it is based off of CM code, so you shall expect to find all the CM features and MODs too including the DSP Manager, CM Theme Engine etc.
Unfortunately, this marvelous device is not yet officially supported by the ParanoidAndroid Team but that doesn’t have to make you worry cause the Team still supports Ports through their Open Source Code. The ROM developer slick_rick has compiled PA v2.56 Alpha 3 Build from the source basing the ROM on Alpha CM10 builds by another worthy developer “SBRISSEN“. The ROM is claimed not to have any bugs from his side but the Bugs and Issues from the base CM10 shall persist and should be consulted before flashing the ROM. The latest Alpha 3 Build was made public on 6 Jan, 2013.
As in the views of DroidViews, PA has always been stable and eye-grabbing but sometimes you might have to compromise on a little bit of performance due to the heavily modded UI.
According to the users, the ROM is way far from being called an Alpha and should seriously be regarded as a Stable release. It looks completely beautiful and is extremely lag-free.
- Boot into recovery and make a backup
- Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache
- Flash ROM
- Flash GAPPS (EVEN WHEN UPDATING BUILDS)
- Reboot and edit your apps DPI & Layout under Settings/Paranoid Settings – DO NOT RESTORE YOUR OLD PROPERTIES FOR NOW
- If you want to explore the various phone modes, tap “Configuration,” chose an option, wait for it to finish, then do a manual reboot
- Video tutorial: Link
3. PAC-man ROM [JB: 4.1.2]
About the ROM
What is PAC-man? As the developer said its the combination of all Super ROMs available for Android based on Jellybean 4.1+ source code. P (ParanoidAndroid) + A (AOKP) + C (CyanogenMOD) = PAC-man ROM. While the name sounds as the famous retro pacman game too but thats not just an misinterpretation because the Logo is so. This ROM combines the best Cherry picks from all the three Custom ROMs, bringing ultimate outcome to the users.
The ROM was originally by szl.kiev, the creative geeky mind this EPIC conclusion that we have now. But since the original developer himself doesn’t own the Sprint Galaxy Note 2, so grasping from his sources and building it for the same has been done by KBizzle. The latest build is a combination of PA v2.55, AOKP M1 & CM10, tagged as v19.1.10 which was published online on 8 Jan, 2013.
As in the views of DroidViews, if you are a sole lover of these three Custom ROMs and are willing to enjoy the features of all the three, then you are most welcome to taste the PAC-man!
According to the users, the developer has made this quite easy for them to try and experience all, the performance, stability, User Interface and speed of the topmost popular ROMs out there.
- Boot into recovery
- Wipe Data/Factory, cache, and dalvik
- Flash ROM And Gapps
- Does not come with Paranoid Preferences. This is a request of the PA team, as it is a closed source apk. You can pull it from slick_ricks PA rom. (Place into system/app, set permissions RW-R–R–, reboot.
- The rom boots up with two notification power widgets. Just go to settings and turn one off or get creativity.
4. LIQUIDSMOOTH JellyBean ROM [JB: 4.2.1]
About the ROM
LiquidSmooth is an Android aftermarket firmware based off of Android Open Source Project code. It aims to yield smooth, stable and fast ROMs to enhance the user experience. The ROM also injects some parts of the CyanogenMOD, AOKP & Xylon source code, so you might experience some features or MODs from the same. Some key features include Navigation Bar Widgets, Chronus Clock Widget, Status Bar MODs, Theme Engine, Customizable Quick Settings Panel and much more.
The Current release labelled Beta 3.1 was made possible by the Team Member and a worthy Developer; dg4prez
As in the views of DroidViews, LIQUIDSMOOTH is one of the only 2-3 JellyBean 4.2.1 based ROMs, so for people who desire a Smooth, Stable and powerful ROM on their Sprint Note 2 running 4.2.1 shall opt for this.
According to the users, the ROM offers a snappy UI with complete stability and non-questionable battery life.
First time installing a 4.2 based AOSP ROM to your Galaxy Note 2 LTE, or coming from another ROM:
– Read known issues ans FAQs
– Flash the latest official ClockworkMod-Recovery
– Copy GApps and Liquid ZIPs to your SDCard
– Boot into Recovery
– Flash Liquid zip from SDCard
– Flash GApps zip from SDCard
– AFTER FLASHING LIQUID AND GAPPS DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
– Don’t restore system data using Titanium Backup!
– Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!
This is where we come to an end, referring to you the Best Custom ROMs available for the Sprint Galaxy Note II!
Stay tuned! Stay viewed! With DroidViews
Please leave your feedback, it helps us to improvise on our knowledge.