Most of the Nexus devices have already received the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware update. Now, it’s the turn for the US carriers to release the latest Android OS upgrade to their devices. The latest to the addition is the AT&T Motorola Nexus 6 XT1103.
According to the AT&T carrier, the Motorola Nexus 6 XT1103 has been receiving the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update. The update along with the latest Android OS version brings many bug fixes and December security patches. The update has been rolling via Google Over the Air (GOTA) download.
Google will use a “slow roll” GOTA campaign that starts with 5% of the ELIGIBLE users on day one and ramps up availability to 100% by the end of the first week. If a user checks for the update via settings before their device is eligible for the rolling GOTA campaign they will see the message that indicates the device software is currently up to date. Users cannot pull the update via Settings.
Once eligible and in Wi-Fi coverage, the download will take place automatically and the user will then be prompted to install the update. However, the OTA is now yet available to flash manually.
The update will take your device’s firmware to version MMB29K and weighs 755 MB. The update features December security fixes and also introduce a bunch of new emoji and a new font to Android at a system level.
If for any reason you have made changes to the system or bricked your device and want to restore the stock firmware, then flashing a factory image is the easiest option available. However, the factory images for At&T devices aren’t available at the moment. Hence, an OTA sideload is the best option available. Once the link is active, you can download the OTA from the download section below.
Go through the requirements and then follow the instructions carefully. A backup is recommended as it may remove your current apps and data just in case anything goes wrong.
Warning: We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. A full backup is highly recommended.
Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA updates for Nexus Devices:
- AT&T Motorola Nexus 6 XT1103 – Download link | Coming Soon
- Nexus 5 – [MMB29K from MRA58N, 96.3MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 5X – [MMB29K from MDB08L, 76.5MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 5X – [MMB29K from MDB08M, 76.0MB]- Download Link
- Nexus 6 – [MMB29K from MRA58X, 189MB] – Download Link (via)
- Nexus 6 – [MMB29K from MRA58N, 187MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 6 – [MMB29K from MRA58R, 188MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 6P – [MMB29M from MDB08L, 75.5MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 6P – [MMB29M from MDB08M, 74.4MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 7 (2013) WiFi – [MMB29K from MRA58V, 66.2MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 7 (2013) LTE – [MMB29K from MRA58V, 64.9MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 7 (2013) LTE – [MMB29K from LMY48X, 343MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 9 WiFi – [MMB29K from MRA58N, 169MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 9 LTE – [MMB29K from MRA58N, 168MB] – Download Link
- Nexus Player – [MMB29M from MRA58N, 63.4MB] – Download Link
Install Marshmallow Firmware on Nexus Devices with ADB sideload [OTA]
This is another method to install OTA updates. To make this method work, you need to setup ADB environment on your PC. You need to sideload the updates manually to your system. Once the OTA is available, you can sideload the update using this method
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can install the full Android SDK package from Google through this link, or get the quick ADB and Fastboot Installer from here. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install latest Motorola USB Drivers on your computer. This is important to detect the phone.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device. To enable developer options, tap the Build Number multiple times (approx. 7 times) in About Phone.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and Fastboot environment on your PC. Download the OTA package and place the file in the same directory where the ADB is installed.
- Power off your device and keep it unplugged from your PC.
- Boot into stock recovery. To do so, turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds. (Refer to the note given below this method)
- Now on the next screen, select the stock recovery option which will boot you into the recovery.
- Once into the stock recovery, select apply update from ADB.
- Now plug in your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Navigate to the location where your ADB and Fastboot is installed on your PC. While the folder with ADB and Fastboot files is open, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a command prompt window.
- Now check your ADB connection by issuing the following command. It should return device information. Otherwise, you need to make sure your drivers are installed correctly.
- Issue the following command to install the updates
adb sideload ota.zip
- This will flash the OTA update to your system. “ota.zip” is the name of the file. Make sure you either rename the file to “ota.zip” or type the name of the file exactly with the proper extension.
- Once the installation completes, reboot to system.
For Mac or Linux users, setup ADB and issue the “./adb sideload ota.zip” command without quotes.
Note to boot into recovery mode:
- Power off phone
- Press Vol Down + Power keys until you get into the select menu and then stop pressing buttons
- Vol Down to Recovery and press power
- Select Recovery mode in options (read instructions at the top of screen to select recovery option)
- If you will see a warning message with an exclamation mark, hold Power then tap Volume up (follow the order properly) and leave it.
- Choose recovery and select update from ADB using volume buttons to navigate and power to select.
- Plug into Windows PC or Mac
How to boot into stock recovery using ADB and Fastboot?
Alternatively, you can issue an ADB code to boot into recovery while your device is connected to the PC. Issue the following code.
adb reboot recovery
Now that you have installed the OTA update, you can now enjoy your new Marshmallow firmware. If you have a rooted device then you can flash the TWRP flashable OTA updates or simply download the customized full ROM zip file and flash it.
For queries, comment down below. If we have helped you, then like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.