Everyone, who has been in touch with the Android scene must have known this famous name “Koush”, real name Koushik Dutta who is the esteemed developer of the world famous Android Custom Recovery; ClockworkMOD. Been a while since Koush started to work on this particular project and the day is now foreseen when Carbon is made public and released for personal use. Now, undoubtedly a lot of questions have already raised in your minds, guess we know that, so proceed further if you seek the answers.
What is Carbon?
It is an Android backup application based on the Cloud Computing Technology which features to sync and back up your app data to your SD card, Dropbox and Google Drive (Google’s cloud server). Along with the backup, it does takes the tech a little much higher, in simple words if you have two different devices linked by the same account then, for instance, if you install an app on one of the devices, in turn the same app shall be installed on the second linked device too. Quite useful, isn’t it?
What is the future of this App?
While the app is still in Beta stage, which presently requires root permissions but Koush has claimed to be working flawlessly without any issues. Carbon has proudly been made open source so that other developers could give a hand in, for own Carbon cloud support. The Final version of the app will not require any root.
How to Install Carbon?
- Download the .APK Beta file [Click to Download]
- Connect your device to the PC via USB data cable and switch ON the USB Storage mode.
- Transfer the Backup.apk to your device’s storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Open a file explorer (like OI File Manager etc.) and tap the Backup.apk that you placed during the earlier steps. This shall prompt the installation process.
- Once, Installation is done, exit the file manager.
How to use Carbon?
- Open your device’s app drawer.
- Tap on “Carbon” to open the app.
- You will be prompted to select a current account, tap on the account you need to select.
- Under the “BACKUP” tab, are displayed the apps installed on your device.
- Mark down the apps that you desire to backup and press Backup to start the process.
- A pop-up shall arise asking for the destination backup location which Includes SDcard, Google Drive & Dropbox. Hit the destination where you are willing to backup and the procedure will initiate.
- If further you are prompted with any pop-ups regarding the accounts or root permissions, then read the terms and proceed accordingly.
- Once everything is done and the backup process finishes, you will be notified by another pop-up saying “Your app backup is complete“. Tap “Ok” to exit the process screen.
Congratulations! You have just backed up your app successfully on Cloud server and you can restore it easily anytime using the options available under the “RESTORE AND SYNC” tab within the app.
Visit Koush’s Google+ profile for regular updates upon the development of this app. You can also donate him for all his hard work.