Confirming the rumors, Google has rolled out the consumer version of Android Nougat today on August 22. Google has officially confirmed the OTA roll out today for the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, Pixel C, and General Mobile 4G (Android One). The Developer preview devices are already receiving the OTA update but the devices running on Marshmallow need to wait for a wee bit more. Google said it could take a couple of weeks for everyone to get the OTA.
If you don’t feel like waiting for the OTA notification to hit your device, we are providing you with the OTA links for the Android Nougat update. You can flash them on your device without losing the data but we would recommend taking a backup of your files just to be safe. The factory images aren’t up yet, so we will post them once they’re available. However, with factory images, all the data on your device will be erased.
The OTA images are full images, not incremental files. So, you can just sideload them via ADB and flash on your device. You won’t even need an unlocked bootloader for this unlike as you would do for a factory image. Download the below OTA update and follow the instructions to flash Android Nougat on your device.
Android Nougat OTA Downloads
The OTA download links are not available for all the Nexus device as of now. We will activate the links once they’re available. Download the OTA file for your device.
- Huawei Nexus 6P Nougat OTA (NRD90M)
- LG Nexus 5X Nougat OTA (NRD90M)
- Motorola Nexus 6 Nougat OTA
- HTC Nexus 9 Nougat OTA (WiFi)
- HTC Nexus 9 Nougat OTA (LTE)
- Nexus Player Nougat OTA
- Pixel C Nougat OTA (NRD90M)
- General Mobile 4G Nougat OTA
- Install proper drivers for your Nexus on your PC. If you don’t have one, check our drivers page here.
- Ensure that you have USB Debugging enabled from settings. For instructions, click here.
- Make sure you’re on stock firmware without any modifications to avoid chances of boot loops.
- You need the latest version of ADB installed on your Computer. You can grab the verified ZIP package by clicking here.
How to Flash Android Nougat OTA on Nexus devices
- Make sure you have the latest ADB version installed on your Computer. If not, quickly download the ZIP file from above and extract it on your PC.
- Download the OTA zip for your device and rename the downloaded file to update.zip for your convenience.
- Place the update.zip file in the same folder where you have extracted the ADB files on your PC.
- Connect your Nexus device to the PC and make sure the device is detected. If not, try reinstalling the device drivers on your PC.
- Navigate to the folder where you’ve extracted the ADB and Fastboot files and open a command prompt by pressing Shift + Right click on any empty space inside the folder, and select Open command window here from the context menu.
- Reboot your device into recovery mode. To do this, simply type in the following command in the command prompt:
adb reboot recovery
- Once your Nexus device boots into the recovery mode, press Volume Up for a second, and release it. Now you’ll be able to see the recovery menu .
- Select “apply update from adb” from the recovery menu.
- On the command prompt window on your Computer, type in the following code :
adb sideload update.zip
- Wait until the flashing process is completed and then you can disconnect your device from the PC.
- Once the flashing is completed, you’ll be back to recovery menu. Reboot the device from the menu.
Since it’s the first boot on Android Nougat, it will take a tad longer than usual. So, be patient until your device boots completely to the welcome screen.