Moto G 2014 was the bestseller in the budget smartphones segment and its successor Moto G 2015 has also followed into its footsteps. Moto G lineup has been famous for average specs, good screen and battery life with near stock Android experience. Motorola also promises quick updates to newer Android version, but this time around they failed to get through their promise. Moto G 2014 was updated to Android Lollipop 5.0.2 but failed to receive the update to Android Lollipop 5.1.1. Well, the device would receive the Marshmallow update sometime in future as promised by Motorola but don’t expect it anytime soon.
Motorola may have failed on their promises, but devs at Xda-developers have been working hard to bring all the goodness of the latest Android version for Moto G 2014. We have seen quite a few great ROMs based on Android 5.1.1 which perform great on this device. This time around we have Android Marshmallow-based ROM for our device. The ROM has been developed by Xda senior member h2o64, and is named as AOSParadox. Similar ROM has also been ported to other devices like Oneplus One and Moto G 2013.
Android Marshmallow brings many performance-based optimizations over previous Android version. You would get smoother experience using Android M. Also battery optimizations are pretty good with the newer version of Android, Doze mode lets you have much longer standby time. App permissions and Google Now on Tap and few minor UI tweaks are other features introduced in the Android M update.
The ROM is still in its early stages of development, so you might face issues while using it. Camera and dual Sim functionality do not work in this build of the ROM. You may also face some minor isues while using the ROM. So if you don’t mind these issues or you just want to take a preview of how the Android M performs on your Moto G 2014, go ahead and follow the guide to install the ROM.
Install Android M on Moto G 2014
Things You Will Need
- Moto G 2014 with a custom recovery like TWRP installed
- ROM zip: AOSParadox-STABLE-20151020-titan.zip (it is not a Stable version)
- Gapps: Link
Steps To Follow
- Download the files linked above and copy them to your device.
- Boot your device into custom recovery:
- Switch off your device.
- Then hold down power and Volume down button to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Select Recovery using volume down button and then press volume up button to boot into recovery.
- Backup your current ROM: Go to backup and select Boot, System and Data, then swipe to confirm to make a nandroid backup of your ROM which can be later restored if something goes wrong while installation.
- Wipe and Factory Reset: Go back to home. Then select Wipe. Then swipe to Factory Reset. Now go to Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik cache, Data, Cache, and System and confirm to perform Wipes.
- Flash ROM: Go back to the home of the Recovery and select Install. Find the zip file you downloaded and confirm to install it.
- Flash Gapps: Go back to install select Gapps package you downloaded and confirm to install it.
- Reboot your device and Enjoy.
Try Android Marshmallow on your Moto G 2014 and get the latest version of Android on your device. Leave us your queries regarding installation procedure, if any, in the comments section below.