Motorola released the latest smartphone in the Moto G series in the year 2015 which was named as the Moto G3. This smartphone was launched in the famous Moto G series by Motorola which was started with the launch of Moto G while the company was owned by Google. After the launch of Moto G, Google sold Motorola to Lenovo and since then, the Moto G series along with various other series from Motorola has been launched by Lenovo. The launch of Moto G3 couple of years ago also marked the third iteration of the Moto G series as the Moto G2 was launched in the previous year.
Talking about the Moto G3 by Motorola, the smartphone has been marked as the most successful Moto G series smartphone after its first generation which was the Moto G. The success of the Moto G3 was partly due to its specifications and partly due to its design. One of the specifications that were particularly highlighting factor in the popularity of the Moto G3 was its IP67 rated waterproofing which would avoid the smartphone from water damages to a certain extent. This was particularly huge because there is lack of waterproofing in some of the flagship smartphones that have been launched this year and Motorola included it in its budget smartphone, the Moto G3.
The smartphone also had an eye-catching design with the changeable plastic shells that looked attractive from a distance along with a metallic rim along its edges. Apart from that, there was a dimple in the middle of the rear with the iconic Moto logo etched on it. Now, the Motorola Moto G3 was launched with Android 5.1 Lollipop which was the latest version of Android at that time and later, the smartphone got the official update to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow which was the first official update from the company for the smartphone.
Later, Motorola released the Android 7.0 Nougat update for the device and we have known that this will be the last update to come to the Moto G3 officially from the company as we have not received any plans or confirmation from Motorola about the company’s intention to upgrade this smartphone to Android 7.1 Nougat or Android 8.0 Oreo. However, we have already mentioned that the smartphone was very popular among the fans of the Moto G series and this includes many of the developers from famous Custom ROMs as well.
Now, there have been a number of Custom ROMs that have been developed for most of the Moto G series smartphones but the most developer friendly devices were the Moto G and the Moto G3 and we already mentioned about the Moto G3 getting the Android 7.1 Nougat and also the latest update for Android which is Android 8.0 Oreo on their smartphone which is not even available for some of the high-end smartphones yet.
Also, Google released the Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview which will be the next iteration of Android after Android 8.0 Oreo and the update will bring many improvements and features on top of Android 8.0 Oreo. The update to Android 8.1 Oreo is scheduled to be released by Google at the end of December and it is still Developer Preview stages with it being beta tested on the Pixel and Nexus devices.
However, the Android 8.1 Oreo is now available for the Motorola Moto G3 and this is available thanks to the Pixel Experience ROM. This Custom ROM has been available for the device for a long time and now it has been ported to support Android 8.1 Oreo which is also named as Android 8.0.0_r33 as it is still not officially released by Google. The announcement of the availability of this custom ROM for the Moto G3 was made by an XDA Senior Member, popular known as rahul9999 on the XDA forums.
If we look at this Custom ROM for the Moto G3, it is mostly stable with most of the important things known to be working and it also comes with all the Google Apps pre-installed. We have compiled a list of things that are working and which needs to be fixed as listed by the developer.
- Mobile Data
- FM Radio
- Moto Actions
- VoLTE will work only after turning on and off Enhanced 4G LTE option from network setting after every reboot
- EX-FAT Sdcards not working
- ROM is laggy
- Camcorder not working properly
- Caller tune not heard while calling and the call gets connected after few seconds of dialing.
- You should have unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery installed on your Moto G3. If you have not done it yet, you can follow this tutorial to Unlock bootloader and Install TWRP on Moto devices.
- Your device should have at least 50% battery remaining to proceed with the installation.
- It is recommended to take a backup of your phone if you have important data on the device.
Steps to Install Android 8.1 Oreo-based Pixel Experience ROM on Motorola Moto G3
- If you have completed all the steps mentioned in the Prerequisites section above and downloaded the files mentioned in the Downloads section then you can proceed with the installation process.
- First of all, you have to switch off your device and press and hold Power + Volume Down button to boot into TWRP recovery on your smartphone.
- Once you are in TWRP recovery, you need to select the Pixel Experience ROM which you downloaded from the Downloads section above and flash the zip file on your smartphone. (Note that this zip file also includes GApps inside it so you do not need to flash the GApps package separately)
- Once the zip file is installed on the device, you need to wipe data and cache and reboot your device.
- After rebooting your phone, your Motorola Moto G3 will boot up with Android 8.1 Oreo-based Pixel Experience ROM.
After completing all the steps in the guide mentioned above, you will be able to experience the latest Android 8.1 Oreo ROM on your device in the form of Pixel Experience ROM. Note that this ROM is in beta stage and many bugs are expected which we have already listed above so proceed to install this ROM on your daily driver with caution.
If you have problems in understanding any of the steps mentioned above then feel free to comment your queries in the comments section below.