Today Google released Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for the Nexus devices. Nexus 6P is the first Nexus device to receive this update and here we are with the OTA capture. We have already listed a procedure to install the factory image on the Nexus 6p. However, if you are only looking for an upgrade rather than a clean factory image flash, then here is a detailed tutorial on how you can successfully upgrade the firmware using 3 simple methods.
You can manually check the updates from the Settings app. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software Information/Updates. Tap the updates option and check if the update appear on your device. If you don’t see any action in there, then go through the methods listed below. We have also listed the TWRP recovery flashable OTA updates for rooted users.
Before we begin verify which firmware you are coming from and flash the OTA accordingly. The MMB29M is the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware.
Warning: We, at DroidViews, won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
Official Signed OTA Update from Google
- MDA89D –> MDB08K(6.0.0)
- MDA89D –> MDB08L(6.0.0)
- MDB08K –> MDB08L(6.0.0)
- MDB08L –> MMB29N (6.0.0) (Telstra Australia only)
- MDB08L –> MMB29M(6.0.1)
- MDB08M –> MMB29M(6.0.1)
TWRP flashable OTA zip files for Nexus 6P
- Recovery Flashable MDB08M Vendor Image
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow — Link
- Recovery Flashable MMB29M Vendor Image
- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow — Link
Method 1: Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update on Nexus 6P with Stock Recovery
- Make sure you do not have any security updates available for your phone prior to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. If available, apply these updates to your phone.
- Download the OTA zip file from the download section for your device.
- Transfer the OTA zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
- Now, you need to boot your Nexus device into Stock Recovery mode. To boot into recovery, restart your device and press the Volume Down button while booting up. Or you can try Step 3-4 in next method.
- Once your phone boots into Recovery Mode, Select Apply Updates from phone’s storage and navigate to the OTA file you just saved on your phone. Use the volume keys to navigate and power key to confirm the action.
- The installation process will start on your device and take a few minutes.
- Once the installation is completes, it will automatically reboot. Otherwise, go back and reboot to system
If after this update the system does not boot, a factory reset might just work. If this method works for you then you can enjoy your new firmware. However, if it fails or gives an error, then refer to method 2.
Method 2: Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update on Nexus 6P with adb sideload
This is another method to install OTA updates. To make this method work, you need to setup adb environment on your PC. You need to sideload the updates manually to your system.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can install the full Android SDK package from Google through this link, or get the quick adb and fastboot installer from here. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install latest Nexus USB Drivers on your computer. This is important to detect the phone.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device. To enable developer options, tap the Build Number multiple times (approx. 7 times) in About Phone.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and Fastboot environment on your PC. Download the OTA package and place the file in the same directory where the adb is installed.
- Power off your device and keep it unplugged from your PC.
- Boot into stock recovery. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds. (Refer to the note given below this method)
- Now on the next screen, select the stock recovery option which will boot you into the recovery.
- Once into the stock recovery, select the option apply update from adb.
- Now plug in your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Navigate to the location where your adb and fastboot is installed on your PC. While the folder with adb and fastboot files is open, right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a command prompt window.
- Now check your adb connection by issuing the following command. It should return device information. Otherwise, you need to make sure your drivers are installed correctly.
- Issue the following command to install the updates
adb sideload ota.zip
- This will flash the ota update to your system. “ota.zip” is the name of the file. Make sure you either rename the file to “ota.zip” or type the name of the file exactly with proper extension.
- Once the installation completes, reboot to system.
For Mac or Linux users, setup adb and issue the “./adb sideload ota.zip” command without quotes.
Note to boot into recovery mode:
- Power off phone
- Press Vol Down + Power keys until you get into the select menu and then stop pressing buttons
- Vol Down to Recovery and press power
- When KO’d Droid appears, press and hold Power and quickly tap Vol Up keeping power pressed. As soon as the menu pops up release power
- Vol Down to update from ADB
- Plug into Windows PC or Mac
Now that you have installed the OTA update, you can now enjoy Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your device. If you have a rooted device and a custom recovery installed, you can still flash the OTA update with the flashable zip files.
Method 3: Install OTA update with TWRP Recovery on Nexus 6P [Use Flashable Zip]
- Download the flashable OTA zip file from the download section.
- Now transfer the zip files into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, first turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time.
- Although this is optional, it is recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To backup your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions:System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to backup.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen and tap on the install option. Navigate to the OTA file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
Once you reboot you can enjoy your new firmware update.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.