Now it’s no surprise here that you are reading this here. Whenever any manufacturer launches a high end smartphone flagship model it’s just a matter of time until you unlock it and get to the rooting and modifications. The same applies to one of the hottest phones to own currently, the OnePlus 2. The extremely rare and beast of a phone is finally unlocked and it’s not a huge surprise there considering OnePlus had openly announced that rooting or unlocking the bootloader won’t affect the warranty for the device.
Now I know there are a only a select few out there who have gotten their hands on the device no thanks to the infamous OnePlus invite system. But for those who have gotten their hand in the device, well now you can learn how to unlock the bootloader for the phone and get with the rooting and modifications. Another thing to keep in mind is that kernel sources for the OnePlus 2 were released just a few days ago. So it will be a while until we see some actual operational custom ROMs and kernels. Till then I guess you’ll have to cut out your work with Xposed Modules.
First of all you will need to ensure a few things before we start:
- Confirm you are using OnePlus 2.
Note: Carrier models might not work with this method. User is to perform this at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have the necessary OnePlus installed (Download here).
- Check if you have at least 80-85% of battery charge. We don’t want the phone dying in the middle of the process.
- If you have done this process before on other devices then you must be familiar with ADB and fastboot. Ensure that you have it installed.
For those who aren’t familiar with ADB and fastboot, Please refer to our detailed guide on How to Setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows within Seconds
- Enable USB-Debugging from Developer Options in the Settings menu.
- If you cannot find Developer Options, then you’ll have to first enable it by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number and tap it 7 times until you see a small notification that you have enabled it.
- Then return to the Settings menu, you should find Developer Options there. Open it and enable USB Debugging.
- Make sure that you have backed up all your personal data and apps as all data might be erased!
- For Contacts, Calendar and People details use Google Accounts Sync to backup
- For Apps and App Data check out our detailed post here.
Disclaimer: The following procedure is highly risky and there are chances that you may brick your phone if not performed correctly, DroidViews cannot be held responsible if that happens. So user should tread cautiously and at their own risk.
Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 2
Step 1 – Plug in USB cable to phone and computer. Tap on USB icon in notifications panel and Select MTP (file transfer) mode.
Step 2 – Open command prompt and type the following command
You should be getting a message saying ‘List of devices attached’ along with your device name. This will confirm that adb has recognized your device.
Step 3 – Next enter this command in Command prompt
adb reboot bootloader
This will reboot your Idol 3 into fastboot/bootloader mode
Step 4 – This command is to unlock the bootloader of the Alcatel Idol 3 (5.5)
fastboot oem unlock
And that’s it you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of the OnePlus 2. If you have any issues do let us know by your comments below.