And here it is available for another device, and once again for an LG make. Previously, it was ported unofficially to the Nexus 4 and wrote a guide to Install Android L Developer Preview on Nexus 4. This time, we have come up with the LG Optimus G E975, which has been a brilliant smartphone of its range supporting Qualcomm Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait processor, Adreno 320 Graphics unit, 13 MP camera, Dolby Sound Enhancement and a 4.7” HD-IPS Gorilla Glass display for a high-definition experience.
Developers are working hard on porting and bringing Android L support to as many devices. Now, the LG Optimus G is one of them, praises to XDA members Kevinjoa and ThatKawaiiGuy. The port is yet in its early beta stage and bugs have been discovered. Not every one of us here prefers stability over features. So, if you tend to operate on the latest version of Android on your Optimus G, you might have to risk a few device features. But do not worry, the bugs are being squashed by the developers the second you read this. A little bit of more patience and you will be served with the latest and still very stable build of Android L Developer Preview on LG Optimus G. Following are the bugs that have been discovered:
- FC’s and hang-ups in the Camera app.
- The device may heat up sometimes and hence the charging procedure is slow
- NFC won’t work at all
- Some Apps FC
- A few Apps won’t work from Play Store since the default runtime is ART.
- The data connection may terminate suddenly at times
Make sure to keep in mind that the ROM is pre-rooted with working root permissions. And as far as what I think, these are just a few minor issues, which will resolve over time and should not hold you back from using this port as a daily driver. Watch over to the Android L porting thread at XDA and you shall be highly convinced to use this ROM on daily basis.
- The process may void the warranty and destroy your device’s official support.
- DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device. Perform everything at your own risk and understanding.
- This is strictly meant for LG Optimus G E975. Do not attempt to try and install this on any other device or model.
Get Everything Ready
- Backup your device ROM completely using custom recoveries like TWRP or CWM.
- Backup device storage, SMS, contacts, calendars, etc
- Charge your Optimus G at least to 60% battery level.
- Enable USB Debugging: Click here
- Download and Install USB drivers: Click here
- TWRP recovery Installed
Install Android L Developer Preview on LG Optimus G
- Download the latest available release build.
- Connect your Optimus G to the PC via USB data cable and transfer the downloaded ROM zip file
- You can either boot into recovery mode, by typing in the following command in CMD or terminal
adb reboot recovery
- Or, you could perform the manual drill mentioned below:
- Power off your device completely
- Press the Vol Down and Power buttons altogether until you see the bootloader screen
- Press the Vol Down button twice and press the Power button to select and boot into TWRP recovery mode.
- Tap on Wipe and swipe the button on the bottom of the screen to perform a Factory Reset (This will not clear Internal Storage)
- Tap on Install and browse to the location where the ROM file was placed. Select it and swipe the button to start the flashing process.
- It will take merely a few minutes depending on the size of the file.
- Once done, tap on Reboot » System
Your Optimus G will reboot itself into Android L Developer Preview. Tell us how you feel on running the latest Android version on your LG Optimus G E975. Be generous to support the development by reporting bugs and contribute your knowledge regarding it. Post your comments and ask whatever you feel like.