The LG Stylo 3 Plus was launched earlier this year with Android Nougat 7.0. The phone is a phablet variant from LG with mid range specs and price. Since the device is relatively new and LG released a couple of flagship devices following the launch of LG Stylo 3 Plus, the community and development support for the device is not available as of now.
There is not even an exclusive forum at XDA available for the LG Stylo 3 Plus currently. However, a fellow developer who goes by the name messi2050, has took his time and have uploaded the TWRP Recovery file and the SuperSU files for the LG Stylo 3 Plus to the General development forum. You can follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP and root your LG Stylo 3 Plus to install any Custom ROMS that might be released in the future.
The method described here only works on LG Stylo 3 Plus. So, don’t try this on any other device unless you deliberately want to brick it for some reason. Also, note that rooting will void your phone warranty. We are not responsible for any damage to your phone even if you claim to have followed the guide correctly. You must understand the amount of risk involved and proceed at your own responsibility. That said, we’re happy to help in any case.
- Download and install Minimal ADB and fastboot drivers and extract it to a folder named ADB
- USB Debugging and OEM Unlock must be enabled.
- Unlocking bootloader will erase all your personal data including data of internal storage. It is advised that you take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.
- Make sure all the latest LG USB drivers are installed.
- Download TWRP recovery for the LG Stylo 3 Plus and rename it as “recovery.img”. Move this file to the ADB folder.
- Download SuperSU and move it to your phone’s Internal Storage
Steps to Unlock Lg K20 Plus Bootloader
- Open a command window on the ADB Folder you previously created. You can do this by holding shift key on your keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here”.
- Now connect your LG Stylo 3 Plus with your PC using your USB cable and enter the following command to reboot to the bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
3. To check whether proper connection is established, issue the below command. If you get the name or serial number of your device then the connection is successful.
4. Now enter the below command to unlock the bootloader of your device. Remember, all your data will be erased.
fastboot oem unlock
5. Once the process is completed, reboot your device by entering the below command.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery
1. Now connect your LG Stylo 3 Plus with your PC using your USB cable and once again enter the following command to reboot to the bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
2. Now enter the command, fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to install the TWRP recovery.
Once the process is complete, you can remove the USB connection and reboot your LG Stylo 3 Plus.
Steps to Root LG Stylo 3 Plus
- Switch off your device and boot into the TWRP Recovery by holding power and volume buttons until the LG Logo appears.
- Now, release the buttons and then immediately press them again until the Recovery screen appears.
- Now select the recovery mode using the volume and power buttons to boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Once the TWRP menu appears, select the Install option in the home screen.
- Now browse for the SuperSU file you downloaded earlier and then select it.
- In the next screen, swipe to flash the zip file.
- Once the flashing process is done, simply reboot to your system and your LG Stylo 3 Plus will now be rooted successfully.
If you have any doubts regarding the process, don’t hesitate to comment below for help!