No matter what features or how many cores of processor are jammed inside a phone, an average smartphone buyer mostly just wants better connectivity with friends and family more than anything. Whatsapp has played a huge role in this over the last couple of years. Instant messaging to anyone across the world using just internet ? That’s a win. Also sharing media with them ? Bigger win! From the last year or so, we’ve witnessed tons of Whatsapp-like apps popping up on the play store offering a different type of instant messaging. But Whatsapp has always been the winner, but for how long ?
Apple’s iOS has iMessage, RIM’s Blackberry has B.B.M. (Blackberry Messenger), Microsoft’s Windows Phones has their own messaging client. But whats common in these, is that they are messaging services built specifically for that OS, and made to enable people on the same OS to interact with each other. Well, Google seems to be planning to step into the game, but being Google, its always one step ahead. How ? by offering this new app of theirs called ‘Babel‘ across all major Operating Systems, enabling a Cross-OS chat app. Er, sounds similar ? Whatsapp anyone ? But wait ! whats different from Whatsapp is that Google Babel will apparently be usable from anywhere, even the Desktop, the browser, anywhere ! (in fact, word is, also from right within Gmail !) Oh and, Whatsapp isn’t free !
All Hail Google !
But wait again, Isn’t there Google Talk ? and isn’t there the Messenger app in Google+ ? And Google Voice ? Exactly ! And apparently, these are gonna get combined, magically, into one Unified App, ‘Google Babel‘ .
Leaks of Google babel are floating all around the internet even as you read this, ironically, you can get to know a lot about Google’s secret, by Google-ing it ! Also what’s more, is that it will be better than Gtalk and Messenger in being more user friendly, conversation based, and much more like the messaging app. As a bonus, it’ll have tons of Smileys, far more than Whatsapp !
We wont be surprised if this new offering from Google is announced in Google I/O this year along with Key Lime Pie, or Android 5.0, if that’s what the name and number codes are.
Google’s feature list according to a Google memo for Babel:
- Brand new UI. We’ve designed a new UI that’s applied across all clients and promotes conversations.
- Stay in sync. With just one conversation list and experience across mobile and desktop, everything is always in sync. Install the Chrome app, the Android app, and iOS app.
- Desktop app. Stop laying whack a mole across blinking browser tabs. With the new Chrome app your conversations continue outside of the browser.
- Keep a group conversation going to coordinate with your team, and start a Hangout with a single tap whenever you need to talk face-to-face.
- Be notified…just once. Get notifications on your two phones, tablet, laptop, and desktop. Open it on one and watch the others disappear. If you’re actively using your computer or phone we’ll even intelligently notify you on just one of those endpoints. Magic!
- Message more than just text. Add a photo to the conversation and/or send some of the 800+ emoji to your coworkers. Kittens and poop are particularly helpful in explaining complex issues.
- Get nostalgic. Scroll back in time and relive any (on-the-record) conversation, on any device.
- More ways to talk. For the first time we are building a first class iOS experience. Try out our very early preview on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Let us know your views in the Comments below !