Retrieving saved passwords on Android is easy, especially if you use the Chrome browser. Google’s Chrome Browser offers to save passwords for you whenever you enter them on a new website. This feature comes in handy when you do forget them.
Here is how you can retrieve saved passwords on Android phones.
Step-by-Step Guide on Viewing Saved Passwords on Android
- The first step is to open up your browser of choice. Most browsers on Android have features that save passwords, Chrome, Firefox, and even Opera offer this safeguard. We are going to use Chrome as an example as most Android users use it.
- Once the browser is open, click on the three vertical dots. They are usually located on the upper right corner of the screen. Some phones do have them at the bottom right corner.
- After tapping on the dots, a pop-up menu will pop-down. From there, tap on the Settings option. This will lead you to the settings of the browser.
- In the Settings screen, locate and click on the option that says Passwords.
- This is the screen where you can find all saved logins and passwords. They are obscure for security reasons for now. To see a password for a particular website, click on the name of the website.
- A new window will appear giving the username and the password. You will notice that the password is still not shown, for that you need to tap the small Eye Icon. This will show the password for you to either memorize or copy to clipboard.
- If your device has a pin or fingerprint security enabled, you will need to authenticate the device. Enter your pin or use the fingerprint to verify your identity. This feature is there to make sure no one else can see your passwords.
That’s it, now you know how to view saved passwords on Chrome on Android. Click on the Clipboard icon to copy the password and paste it on the website you are visiting. Saves a couple of seconds, especially if you have a complicated password.
Tips on Using Google Password Manager on Android
There are a few features that allow you to manage passwords on Chrome as well. While they are not as extensive as some dedicated password management apps, they are still quite useful.
How to Delete Saved Passwords on Chrome
You can delete passwords by navigating to the Settings > Passwords > Website Name and pressing the Trash Can Icon located on the top right corner.
Retrieving and Exporting Passwords on Android
Want to bulk export all your saved passwords? You can do that by going to the Settings > Passwords page and clicking on the three vertical dots icon on the upper right corner of the screen. Tap on Export Passwords and select your preferred method.
Fair warning, this will save all your passwords in an unsecured text file. So make sure it is placed somewhere safe.
Where Are App Passwords Stored on Android Phones and Devices?
The App passwords are stored in the browser itself. They are encrypted and secure so you can’t access them without the browser. Some browsers do keep the encrypted passwords on your device storage while some save them online. So you can switch devices and still have access to them.