Whether you are running the shipped CyanogenMod or the recently rolled out Oxygen OS on your OnePlus, at one point or another having a recovery is a boon, if not a necessity. It can help bring you back to stock condition or let you test new ROMs always coming out for this developer-friendly device.
Having used the default Cyanogen recovery, CWM recovery and TWRP, I have preferred TWRP personally [no specific reason of prominence over CWM]. Below, we’ll see how we can flash the TWRP Recovery on the OnePlus One.
In general, TWRP offers you the following utilities:
- Touch-based recovery interface
- Install ROMs, GApps, SuperUser as well as apps
- Mounting external storage
- Backing up a stable ROM in case flashing fails
- Restoring a prior ROM
- Wiping data as well as Advanced Wipe [System, Internal Storage, Cache, Dalvik]
What you need:
- A Oneplus One & a USB cable [duh!!]
- Latest TWRP image for your Oneplus [download links below]
- USB drivers installed on your PC [download links below]
- Platform tools installed [download links installed below]
Steps: Let’s get started
- Boot your device into Fastboot mode & plug in the USB to your PC. [holding the Power button & volume up button brings your device in Fastboot mode]
- Open a command prompt window and type in the following [for users whose bootloader is unlocked, skip to Step 3]
fastboot oem unlock
- Type in the following command to flash TWRP
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- That’s right. TWRP goodness now exists in your phone. Hold Power button and Volume Down button to enjoy.
- Oneplus One 16 GB JBL Edition
- Oneplus One 16 GB International version
- Oneplus One 64 GB