The fever is on! Everybody, no matter what device owned, is trying to experience yet the best Android version. While the lucky Nexus series flagships are already running on KitKat, others await. But hey! Waiting is a not an option in Android’s custom world. So here we’re offering you to enjoy KitKat on your Xperia Z, Xperia T & Xperia V.
While we’re talking about Xperia devices, one can never be unaware of FXP, aka FreeXperia Project. The project was initiated back with the age of Gingerbread and now holds its hands on KitKat, all credits to the worthy developers who had spent their time and knowledge. The latest release of FXP is CyanogenMod 11 builds, based on Android 4.4 (KitKat). While CM itself hasn’t finished the final code for CM11, many things are left undone. So, this might not be considered as stable to those who want operate on bug-free daily builds, but for those who are desperate enough to taste the latest Android version despite of the bugs are welcome to join the party.
- DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any kind of damage to your device
- Read & understand every step of this guide before proceeding any further
- This guide is meant only and only for Xperia Z, Xperia T & Xperia V
Prepare Your Device
- Android SDK Installed: Download
- Fastboot Binary (Place it in the Android SDK directory>/tools): Download
- Unlocked Bootloader
- CWM recovery installed
- Download the latest CM11 FXP build for your device: Download
- Download the latest GApps package: Download
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Transfer the ROM zip file and GApps zip file to a suitable location on your device’s storage
- Disconnect the device.
- Power off the device. Press Vol up button and plug in the USB again, blue light will lit up. Your device is now in fastboot mode.
- Extract the boot.img from the ROM zip file to a suitable location. Now, press the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the same folder, click on Open Command Prompt Here. Type the following command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- The device will reboot, once you see the voilet LED lit up, press the volume up button to boot your Xperia into CWM recovery mode.
- In CWM recovery mode:
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
mounts and storage > format /boot
mounts and storage > format /data
mounts and storage > format /system
- Tap on install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM zip file. Tap on Yes, when prompted.
- Follow the step 9 procedure again to flash the GApps package.
- Once done, tap on Reboot system now
Voila! Your Xperia will now boot into CM11 ROM based on KitKat 4.4. Again, these are initial builds and bugs are expected often, so kindly co-operate and be patient. Also, you can put a helping hand around by submitting bugs here. Changelog for the latest builds can be found here. You can also visit the official FXP website for more info on the project.