The stock firmware from LG G4 is remarkable. It’s high resolution screen and flat user interface is a much talked about feature. Not to forget it’s DSLR like camera features alongside f/1.8 aperture. Moreover, the G4 has recently received Android 6.0 Marshmallow update. However, the update is running slow and many features are still to be incorporated fully into the stock ROM. Hence a stable custom ROM can be a good alternative option. Now that the CyanogenMod Nightlies are out, you can install it readily on your device.
CyanogenMod is known to build some of the best third party ROMS for Android devices. Nightlies are stable as they are being developed for a long time now. The best part about CM 12.1 ROM is that it’s light weight and fast. You can also install multiple ROMS and use them simultaneously.
However, you will need TWRP installed on your device. Once you have installed the recovery, you are now ready to flash custom ROMS. Let’s begin with the tutorial.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root or install custom ROM on your device. We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We are not responsible if you brick or damage your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- CM 12.1 Nightlies for LG G4 — Download | File: cm-12.1-20151110-NIGHTLY-h815.zip
- Download | Google Apps from Open Gapps
- The listed custom ROM is compatible with LG G4 H815 variant only. Do not try it on any other device or variant.
- Unlocked bootloader is required in order to flash the system and boot images on your G4. To unlock the bootloader on your device, get to the official page.
- Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed on your device. Download the latest TWRP 2.8.7+ build from here. For detailed TWRP installation instructions using fastboot, get to our tutorial through this link.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC so as to transfer the ROM and Google apps to your device’s storage. Download here.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
Install CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly On LG G4
- Download the CM 12.1 ROM from the download section. Also, download the compatible Google Apps from the link
- Now transfer the zip files into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip files where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, first turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. If you see the TWRP logo, that means you have successfully booted into the recovery.
- It’s highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To backup, your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to back up.
- After performing the ROM backup, perform a full wipe. Return to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe the confirmation button to wipe.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen and tap on the install option. Navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM will be installed.
- Now return to home in the TWRP and tap on the install option. Navigate to the Google apps zip file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
If you see the new boot logo, that means you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. If you come across any boot loop or face system errors, try a factory reset from the recovery or you can always restore your previous ROM from the backup.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.