When the Lollipop update was released by Google, the Galaxy S5 was still a Samsung flagship. As it usually happens, the flagship devices from different OEMs are privileged to receive latest OS updates ahead of all other devices. There’s no wonder, the Galaxy S5 was the first Samsung smartphone to get the Lollipop update.
It was back in the closing week of February this year that the Sprint variant of the Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P) started receiving the Android 5.0 Lollipop update. It has been quite some time now and most of the owners have already been enjoying Lollipop. There’s no doubt that Lollipop is the biggest update Android has received so far. Having updated your device with the new firmware, you’ll notice the following changes:
- All new Material design in the user interface
- Smoother performance
- Fluid animations
- Notification cards on the lockscreen
- Priority notifications mode
- More battery saving features
- Various system tweaks and more features
If you did not take the Android 5.0 OTA for the fear of losing root privilege, or you live outside USA, you might still be looking for a way to install Lollipop on your Sprint Galaxy S5 and retain root. Today we have come with the old tested FireFlash method and muniz_ri is again the guy who has packaged the stock rooted Lollipop ROM as a flashable zip
Install Stock Rooted Lollipop on Sprint Galaxy S5
You can use this method regardless of what firmware or build version your Sprint S5 has. However, you must be rooted to be able to use the FireFlash app! Flashing the pre-rooted firmware provided below will not trip the KNOX Warranty Void flag. The procedure given below is considered risky. Follow it on your responsibility!
- To gain root access on your Sprint Galaxy S5 SM-G900P running KitKat, you can try Towelroot. In case you Towelroot doesn’t work for you, downgrade to NE5 (Android 4.4.2) firmware and root it with Towelroot. Don’t try to downgrade if you have already taken the Lollipop OTA.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S5. This step has nothing to do with the method given below but it could be a lifesaver if anything goes wrong.
- Backup your apps and data and ensure at least 75% battery on your S5.
- Install Chainfire’s FireFlash app on your Sprint Galaxy S5. Since this new app is only available for beta-testers currently, go to the Google+ page and join the Android-FlashFire community. You must be signed into Google+ using the same Gmail ID that you use on the Google Play Store. Having joined the community, click the Play Store link to download FireFlash Beta app.
- Download the stock rooted Lollipop firmware for the Sprint S5:
- Copy the G900P_OA6_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip to your device.
- Before you do any thing, open SuperSU app on your phone, tap the Settings tab, scroll to Enable su during boot option and enable it.
- Open the FlashFire app and “Agree” to the Terms and Conditions prompted by the app.
- Press the rounded “+” button twice to bring up the Actions menu.
- Now tap Flash Zip or OTA option and select the G900P_OA6_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip.
- Make sure that Auto-mount is unchecked under the Options menu and press the check-mark to continue.
- Tap “+” once again to bring up Actions and select Wipe.
- Under the Options menu select all partitions except Internal storage then press the check-mark to continue.
- In the main menu, reorder the Actions in the following order. You can so tapping and holding the options and then by dragging to the desired location.
- Flash ZIP or OTA
- Do not play with the default settings under EverRoot and Reboot options.
- When all’s done, tap the Lightning bolt icon followed by OK to begin the installation.
Done! You device will reboot automatically when the installation is finished. The first boot might take a few minutes before your Sprint Galaxy S5 boots up for normal use. Just be a little patient. Cheers!
credits | muniz_ri