It’s really a definitely a good news for the owner of the international Motorola Droid Razr XT910 as the long-awaited Jelly Bean update has finally started rolling out. You can get the update over-the-air by checking for the update’s availability from device Settings> About. However, you can also update your Razr XT910 to the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean manually.
Thanks to the XDA member HSD-Pilot who has leaked the JB OTA update zip that you can download on your computer and install the firmware update package via stock recovery. If you have a rooted phone, you can also preserve the root while upgrading the firmware at the same time. The jump to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware from the current ICS firmware is big jump as the new update brings a host of new features and improvements to your phone. Google Now, smoother and faster UI (thanks to the Project Butter), actionable and expandable notification panel are just a few to name. Besides, the update will also be bringing many other changes. You can view the complete changelog at the official Motorola Portal site.
- Remember that to be able to install the OTA update, your Motorola Razr (GSM) XT910 must be on stock/official firmware without any modification. Make sure your phone is on 672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU firmware version. If you are not sure what version your phone is on, you can check it from Settings> About.
- In case the ICS firmware version of your device does not match to one mentioned above, or ff your phone is not on the stock ROM, you can still get the Jelly Bean update on your device. Download the base ICS firmware and install it on your phone. The update package will then recognize the base and you will be able to install it. Here is a detailed guide how you can install the required stock firmware using the instructions given here
- Do not try it if your phone is on a custom ROM or you have installed a modified boot.img. In case, you device is on rooted stock firmware, it qualifies to get the update using a simple trick.
- Charge your phone to have a decent (60%) level of battery juice.
- The update will not wipe any data stored on your phone, yet we’ll advise you to backup any important data stored on the internal storage of your phone.
- Download the Android 4.1.2 JB update package: Blur_Version.672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU.zip (315.5 MB)
- Download the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper app from the Play Store.
How to Install the Android 4.1.2 JB OTA Update zip:
- Copy the OTA firmware update file Blur_Version.672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU.zip to your phone’s external zip.
- This step is for rooted phones only. If your phone is not rooted, skip this step. Update the binary of the SuperSU app on your phone. Open the OTA RootKeeper app on your phone and tap on the Temp Unroot option. Doing this will temporarily unroot your phone.
- Now turn off your phone and boot it into Stock Recovery mode. This is how you can do it: press and hold the Volume Up + Down buttons together. Keep the keys pressed till you see the boot selection menu. Using the Volume Down key, scroll down to the Recovery option and select it using the Volume Up button. Now you will see a screen with a green Android bot and a triangle. Press the Volume Up and Down keys together to enter the Recovery mode. In the recovery mode, use the volume keys to scroll up and down and the power key to select options.
- Now scroll down to “wipe cache partition” option and wipe it.
- Then select “apply Update from external Storage”, navigate to the Blur_Version.672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU.zip file and select it.
- The installation will begin now it will take a few minutes to complete, and when it is finished, reboot the phone using “reboot system now” option.
- When the phone boots up, go to app drawer and launch the OTA RootKeeper app and tap on the Restore Root button.
Thus, you have successfully updated your Motorola Razr (GSM) XT910 to the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware. Explore the latest features and enjoy the luxury of Jelly Bean.
What If I Get a Bootloop?
In some cases, your device might not boot properly after installing the Jelly Bean update and it might stuck at bootanimation. If you have this issue, do not panic and do as follows:
- Reboot your device into Recovery mode.
- Wipe data/factory reset.
- The also wipe cache partition.
- And finally reboot the device.