The Android Lollipop currently occupies a meager 3% of in the official OS distribution chart. To a great extent, the laziness of most of the OEMs and carriers in pushing new updates is responsible for the poor distribution. When it comes to releasing major OS updates, especially for a little older devices, Samsung doesn’t have a very good track record.
Lollipop is out for more than 6 months now and there are still so many devices waiting to get it. For the past few weeks, the Korean giant has been pushing the Android Lollipop to some of its older flagships. While the carrier-branded devices have to wait for months before they get the major updates, the international variants receive them pretty earlier.
Anyway, the US models of Galaxy devices have now been receiving the Lollipop update in quick succession. If you own the AT&T Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870A, it’s your moment. AT&T has started rolling out the Android 5.0 update with build number OC5. The size of the Lollipop OTA is 1434.38 MB and if you have not received it yet, you can request it manually by going to Settings> System> About device> Software update. If you still haven’t any luck, you can flash the OTA Zip file via stock recovery.
If you are addicted to enjoying root privilege on your AT&T Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870A, we also have the pre-rooted Lollipop firmware for your phone that you can flash right away. Thanks to muniz_ri for his commendable work for the AT&T Galaxy devices!
Update AT&T Galaxy S5 Active to Lollipop (no root)
To be able to install the Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA package on your AT&T Galaxy S5 Active, your device must be fully stock (no root) with Android 4.4.4 firmware running on it. If you phone meets this requirement, follow the steps provided below to upgrade to Lollipop. The procedure will not trip the KNOX Warranty Void counter. If you want root privilege on Lollipop, skip to the FireFlash method described below.
Instructions to Install the OTA
- Download the Lollipop OTA package and rename the file as “update.zip”: 2400258.cfg
- Copy the update.zip file to the external SD card of your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone as a precaution.
- Turn off your device and reboot into the stock recovery. To do so, hold the Volume Up+Home+Power keys together while the device is switched off. As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release the Power key and keep the other two keys pressed until you see the recovery menu.
- Using the volume keys, scroll to “apply update from external storage” option and select it by pressing the Power key.
- Navigate to update.zip package and select it.
- Confirm installation when prompted.
- When the file is flashed, go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now” option.
Done! Now you need to wait patiently for about 5-10 minutes before your AT&T Galaxy S5 Active boots up and becomes usable.
Install Rooted Lollipop ROM on AT&T Galaxy S5 Active
You can the following instruction of want to update to Lollipop and enjoy root access. Besides, you can install the rooted Lollipop firmware regardless of what firmware or build version your phone currently has.
- Rooted AT&T Galaxy S5 Active. If you don’t have root access, do as directed below:
- Enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S5 Active. This step has nothing to do with the method given below but it could be a lifesaver if anything goes wrong.
- Install Chainfire’s FireFlash app on your AT&T Galaxy S5 Active. Since this new app is only available for beta-testers currently, go to the Google+ page and join the Android-FlashFire community. You must be signed into Google+ using the same Gmail ID that you use on the Google Play Store. Having joined the community, click the Play Store link to download FireFlash.
- Download the stock rooted Lollipop firmware for the AT&T Galaxy S5 Active:
- Also download the Odin (v3.10.6) OC5 bootloader file: G870A_OC5_Bootloader.tar.md5
- Copy the G870A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip to your device.
- Before you do anything, open SuperSU app on your phone, tap the Settings tab, scroll to Enable su during boot option and enable it.
- Open the FlashFire app and “Agree” to the Terms and Conditions prompted by the app.
- Press the rounded “+” button twice to bring up the Actions menu.
- Now tap Flash Zip or OTA option and select the G870A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip.
- Make sure that Auto-mount is unchecked under the Options menu and press the check-mark to continue.
- From the main menu uncheck all options under EverRoot.
- Set the Reboot settings to Download.
- When all’s done, tap the Lightning bolt icon followed by OK to begin the installation.
- When the installation is finished, your device will reboot automatically into the Download Mode.
- Now connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and launch Odin.
- Click the PDA/AP button in Odin and select the G870A_OC5_Bootloader.tar.md5 file.
- Then hit the Start button to begin the installation.
Your AT&T Galaxy S5 Active will reboot automatically. Just wait patiently for a while. Done!
Enable WiFi Tethering on AT&T Galaxy S5 Active
Note: You must have root access to flash the WiFi Hotspot mod on your phone.
- Install FireFlash app by Chainfire (see Method 1 for how to).
- Download the Mobile Hotspot mod file and copy the zip to your phone: G870A_OC5_TetherAddOn.zip
- Now launch FireFlash and tap the “+” icon twice to bring up the menu and then select Flash Zip or OTA option.
- Navigate to G870A_OC5_TetherAddOn.zip file and select it.
- Make sure that the Auto-mount option is not selected under Options.
- Leave the default settings under EverRoot and Reboot options untouched.
- Finally, tap the Lightning bolt icon and then tap OK.
Your phone’ screen will turn black for sometime so do not panic. When it turns up, install the Tether add-on zip file and reboot your device. When your phone boots up, you’ll be able to enjoy free WiFi hotspot on your AT&T Galaxy S5 Active (SM-G870A) running the new OC5 Lollipop firmware.