Today, we step in to Root Sprint HTC One M8 and Install TWRP on the same. Lately after the release of the GSM variant, all other carrier branded M8s were all lined up. Of course they have the very same brilliant hardware configuration of Snapdragon 801 Quad-core 2.3GHz processor, 5” Full-HD 1080p Corning Gorilla glass display, Ultrapixel Duo camera, Bluetooth 4.0 and latest Android software support with Sense UI 6 based on KitKat 4.4.2.
The scene is moving at quite a pace, it hasn’t been even a week since the release of the device and we’ve already covered up on How to Root and Install TWRP on HTC One M8. Alike rooting the GSM variant, the Sprint HTC One is also a little push with a few simple steps.
The process requires your bootloader to unlocked first, which could be done at HTCDev.com. Once unlocked, we’re going to flash the TWRP recovery. Now the latter shall be used to flash Chainfire’s SuperSU.
Have you made up your mind to root your Sprint HTC One M8? Good decision, but keep in mind that unlocking its bootloader will void its warranty. Moreover, actions like rooting your device and installing a custom recovery are considered risky. Think twice before proceeding and if you have any doubts, clear them first!
- Unlock your bootloader from HTCDev: Follow our guide
- Install appropriate drivers
- Enable USB Debugging
- Make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM
- Install Android SDK
- Download essential files (Fastboot_files.zip) and extract it to the desktop.
Install TWRP on Sprint HTC One M8
- Download TWRP recovery image file for the Sprint HTC One M8 (openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-m8_whl.img) and move it to the Fastboot_files folder on your desktop.
- Unlock your Sprint M8′s bootloader using HTCDev.com [Select HTC One (M8), click on Begin Unlock Bootloaderand follow the instructions]
- Make sure that the Fastboot is unchecked in the Power Options.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot into HBOOT mode by pressing Volume down and Power buttons altogether. Using the volume keys highlight Fastboot and select it using the power button.
- Connect your device to the PC.
- Open the Fastboot_files folder on your desktop. Now press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder, a menu will popup. Select Open Command Prompt here.
- Type in the following commands one after the other:
fastboot erase cache fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-m8_whl.img fastboot reboot
- Your Sprint HTC One M8 will now reboot and you have your TWRP installed successfully.
Root Sprint HTC One M8
- Download the SuperSU flash-able zip (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip) and transfer it to your device’s internal storage.
- Switch off your HTC One M8.
- Boot into HBOOT mode by pressing Volume down and Power buttons simultaneously. Now using the volume keys highlight Recovery and select it using the power button.
- Your M8 will boot into TWRP recovery mode.
- Tap on Install and select UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip. Now slide the button to start the flash process.
- Once done, go back to the main menu of TWRP.
- Tap on Reboot, then on System.
Your device will reboot itself and shall be now be rooted, having the famous TWRP touch recovery installed. Once your device boots, install the following Root Checker app from the Play Store and launch it to confirm that the device is root.
You can now Install any flash-able zip file for your device, be it ROM, Kernel, tweaks etc. Use TWRP Manager app for an interactive user-interface of the TWRP recovery.