One of the reasons why many people prefer Android to other operating systems is its amazing capability of customization. If you have root privilege on our device, you can customize it in a way you want. It’s almost impossible to make the most of an Android device without rooting it. At DroidViews, we focus on making Android users aware about how they can root their device and modify it using custom ROMs, mods, and hacks. If you own the Galaxy Tab A, you should root it to take advantage of custom ROMs, root apps, and mods. Today we’ll see how we can Root Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 and install TWRP recovery on it. Just follow our step-by-step tutorial.
We’ve taken all care in writing this root guide and keeping it detailed and clear. Please follow the procedure described below carefully or you might end up with a device stuck in a boot loop. Though you can restore your Tab by installing the stock firmware, it’s still better not to get into complications. Read the guide and make all preparations before proceeding.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 and unzip the downloaded file: Link
- Make sure you’ve installed Samsung USB Drivers on your computer
- Download the TWRP Recovery image file: twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t280_080118.tar
- Download the SystemMode SuperSU package file and copy the file to your device storage: SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip
- You also need to download the patched kernel file for SM-T280 and extract it using 7Zip program, open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img file to your Galaxy Tab A: supersu_2.78_SR1_systemless_boot_t280.tar
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock on your Tab from Settings> Developer options (see how to activate Developer options).
- Make sure your device is fully charged.
- Backup all apps and data present on the internal storage of your device.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 and Install TWRP
- Turn off your Galaxy Tab A and boot it into the Download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons simultaneously for 2-3 seconds. When you see the warning screen, press the Volume Up key.
- Open the Odin folder and launch the .exe file as administrator.
- Now connect your device to computer using a USB cable.
- When your Tab is detected by Odin, the ID:COM port will turn blue.
- Now click the ‘Options’ tab on Odin and uncheck the ‘Auto Reboot’ option.
- Click the AP button in Odin and add the twrp_3.0.2-1_sm-t280_261016.tar file to it.
- Now click the Start button to install it.
- When the recovery file is installed, you will get secure check failed error. Don’t worry about it. Just press and hold Volume down + Home + Power keys together. As soon as the screen goes blank, change to Volume up while keeping the Home + Power keys pressed. Tour tab will boot into the TWRP mode.
- Tap the Install button in TWRP menu, locate and select SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip and install it.
- After flashing the SuperSU file go back to the main menu in TWRP, tap Install and flash boot.img as “Boot”.
- When the file is installed, select the Reboot> System option.
When your Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 boots up, it will have root privilege with TWRP Recovery installed on it. Done!
To verify that your Tab A has been properly rooted, you can install and run a free app called ‘Root Check’ from the Play Store.[googleplay url=”https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummyapps.rootchecker”/]