It has been only about 6 hours since I flashed my Galaxy S3 with the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware and must say it’s greater in all aspects than ICS. So many new features with the new improved ToucWiz on the top is just cool. Having played with the new firmware for a few hours, I decided to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 on stock JB. And having rooted it successfully, I have time and capacity now to write this tutorial for those who have recently upgraded their SGS3 to JB and have a keen desire to get root access on it.
So, if you are one of my kind (have a Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1 and wish to root it), here is an easy tutorial to help you root your phone. Before we proceed, let’ have a little formality. Rooting your Android phone will void the warranty you got from Samsung while purchasing it and it might pose risk to your device if you are not careful enough.
To-Dos before Rooting Galaxy S3:
In the present tutorial, I will tell you how you can root you SGS3 with the Jelly Bean ROM using Chainfire’s CF Root via Odin. It is a very easy method and take only a few minutes to perform, but you need to make a few preparations followed by a few clicks.
- Put you device on charging mode to get at least 50% of battery level.
- Back up the messages, call log, contacts, apps, or any important data saved on your device. Backup your contacts, call-logs, messages, APNs, bookmarks, calendar, apps & games using these nice free apps.
- Open Settings on your SGS3 and turn on USB Debugging: Settings> Developer Options>
- Download Odin3-v3.04 (Mirror Link) and extract the zip on your computer’s desktop.
- Download CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip file and extract it too at the desktop to find a .tar file.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your computer. Do not forget to restart your PC after installing the USB drivers.
Steps to Root SGS3 on JB Firmware:
- Turn off you phone.
- Boot the device into Download Mode: long press Volume Down + Home (center) keys simultaneously, and then press the Power button for 5-7 seconds. The Download Mode screen will look something like this:
- It will prompt you to press volume up or down key. Press the Up key.
- Now go to the Odin-v3.04 folder and run the Odin.exe file by a double click.
- When you can see the Odin window, connect your S3 to the computer via a USB cable.
- The ID:COM port at the Odin should turn green showing that it has detected the device.
- Do not play with any of the check boxes on the Odin and directly click on the PDA button. Browse to the “CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar” file and select it.
- Now click on the “Start” button and let the Odin flash the insecure kernel, CWM Recovery, and the Super User app to you device.
- When the installation is finished, the ID:COM port will turn green and show a pass message.
- The PASS! message with green color indicates that your device has been rooted successfully.
- Your Galaxy S3 should now reboot automatically.
- You can remove the USB cable now.
- If you need to enter the ClockworkMod Recovery any time later, just press and hold the Volume Up + Home button and then the Power button.