Did you Flash your Samsung Galaxy S3 with the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware? I have already done! It’s amazing and brings a host of new features to our powerful Galaxy S3. And now. if you want to root you phone on this latest version of firmware for the device, here is an easy rooting tutorial that will root and install you Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.2 with just two clicks. Droidviews is probably the first to give you a working rooting tutorial on this version of firmware for SGS3.
Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware on Galaxy S3
Review: Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update for Samsung Galaxy S3
Review: Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update for Samsung Galaxy S3
Customization Tips and Tricks for the Galaxy S3
Get Prepared to Root Galaxy S3:
The method given here is very easy and familiar and takes only a few minutes to perform, but you need to make a few preparations followed by a few clicks.
- Put you device on charging mode to get at least 70% of battery level.
- Back up your contacts, messages, apps, and any important data saved on your device. Backup your contacts, call-logs, messages, APNs, bookmarks, calendar, apps & games using these nice free apps.
- Open Settings on your SGS3 and turn on USB Debugging: Settings> Developer Options>
- Download Odin3-v3.04 (Mirror Link) and extract the zip on your computer’s desktop.
- If Odin3-V3.04 doesn’t work for you, download Odin3_v1.85.zip and use it the same way.
- Download CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip (Mirror Link) file and extract it too at the desktop. In the extracted folder you will find a .tar file.
- If you wish to install CWM Touch Recovery, download the following file and install it using Odin using Odin after installing the CF-Root package: recovery-cwmtouch-126.96.36.199-GTI9300.tar
- Alternatively, you can also install the TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S3. Just install the latest .tar file from the following link and install it using Odin: Download Here
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your computer. Do not forget to restart your PC after installing the USB drivers.
Steps to Root SGS3 on Android 4.1.2:
- Turn off you phone. Boot it into Download Mode: long press Volume Down + Home (center) keys simultaneously, and then press the Power button for a few seconds. The Download Mode screen will look something like this:
- It will prompt you to press volume up or down key. Press the Volume Up key.
- Now go to the Odin-v3.04 folder and run the Odin.exe file by a double click.
- When you can see the Odin window, connect your S3 to the computer via a USB cable.
- The ID:COM port at the Odin should turn green showing that it has detected the device.
- Do not play with any of the check boxes on the Odin and directly click on the PDA button. Browse to the “CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar” file and select it.
- Now click on the “Start” button and let the Odin flash the insecure kernel, CWM Recovery, and the Super User app to you device.
- When the installation is finished, the ID:COM port will turn green and show a PASS! message. It indicates that your device has been rooted successfully.
- Your Galaxy S3 should now reboot automatically. You can remove the USB cable now.
- If you need to enter the ClockworkMod Recovery any time later, just press and hold the Volume Up + Home button and then the Power button.
Bingo! Enjoy your rooted Galaxy S3 on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Firmware with CWM Recovery installed. Have a question on the topic, do ask via comments.
CWM Touch Recovery
If you want CWM Touch recovery on your Galaxy S3, download the following file and install it using Odin using the same steps you did above: