Samsung’s third generation phablet device, the Galaxy Note 3 is the latest sensation in the world of Android. It is being seen as a worthy upgrade to its predecessor Note 2 and has received mixed opinions from critics. Coming to specs, the device sports a 5.7″ Full HD sAMOLED display with 1920 x 1080 Resolution, 2.3 GHz Quad CPU, 3G B RAM, 13 MP rear and 2MP front camera, 32 /64 GB Memory, 3,200 mAh Standard Battery and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (it has KitKat now).
It has not been long since it was released but the stats of Note 3′s sale promise that it is doing good. However, whether it will be able to outshine Note 2 or not, is yet to be seen. Meanwhile, if you have already bought the Galaxy Note 3 LTE, checked it features and are now planning to root it, this tutorial will help you do that. It is to be noted that Chainfire has now released the official Odin flashable root package for the device. The TWRP recovery, however, is not official.
The rooting procedure described below is considered risky and therefore it must be taken for granted. Though it has been tested and found working, it does not come with a guarantee tag. It’s your phone and your responsibility. All we can do is to help you in case you are stuck at some point of the procedure. Also, the rooting method applies only to Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE SM-N9005 and trying it on any other model of the device might bring catastrophic results.
To root your Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 on Android 4.4.2 KitKat, use Geohot’s TowelRoot app.
- Download CF-Auto-Root package for SM-N9005 (extract the zip): CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip
- Download Samsung USB Drivers or latest Kies on your PC. If you do not have either of them, download here.
- If you also want to install a custom recovery on your Note 3 SM-N9005, download the latest PhilZ Advanced recovery with .tar.md5 extension: philz_touch_6.13.0-hltexx.tar.md5
- Installing a new firmware might wipe the apps and data present on the internal SD, so it is recommended that you backup your data. Here are a few apps that will help you do that.
- Turn on USB Debugging on your Note 3. Read this guide to know how to do it.
- Make sure to charge your device to a decent level before starting.
Root Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005:
If you are not new to the Android scene and have owned a Galaxy phone or tablet, you might like to be told how to install files using Odin tool. But if it is your first time, follow the steps given below.
- Open the CF-Auto-Root folder and launch Odin 1.85 as administrator.
- Turn off your Note 3 and put it into Download Mode. This is how you can do it: turn off the device, and press Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time for about 2-3 seconds. When the screen turns up, you’ll be prompted to press the Volume Up key. Press it to enter Download Mode.
- Connect your Note 3 LTE to computer using USB cable.
- Wait till Odin detects your device and you see “Added!!” in message box on Odin and Blue signal at the ID:COM port.
- Now click on the PDA button and select the file with .tar.md5 extension.
- When you are satisfied that everything is fine, click the Start button on Odin.
- The installation procedure will now be initiated. Wait till it is done and you see PASS! message with Green indicator.
- Your device will then reboot automatically. The first boot takes a little longer time that normal reboot, so wait patiently.
Finally, you’ll be hailed by the lockscreen. Open the app drawer to check the presence of a new app called SuperSU. To further verify that the device has full root access, install the Root Checker app from the Play Store and run it.
Installing CWM/TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Note 3 LTE:
Having rooted your Galaxy Note 3 LTE SM-N9005, if you also intend to install custom ROMs or mods, do the following steps. Actually the procedure of installing any file with .tar extension in Odin is the same as described above. Following the procedure given below will void your phone’s warranty.
- Make all preparatory steps as instructed above.
- Boot your Note 3 in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin and connect device to computer via USB.
- Click on PDA and select “philz_touch_6.13.0-hltexx.tar.md5“ file.
- Hit the Start button and wait till you get PASS!! message followed by device reboot.
To reboot your device into Recovery mode, turn it off and use Volume Up + Home + Power button combination.
If you have any problem or question regarding the procedure described above, feel free to leave a comment. Thanks!