Nvidia is a popular name among lovers of gaming. With its newly launched Nvidia Shield Tablet, the company has combined the goodness of Android with the pleasure of gaming. The Shield Tablet looks pretty much like any other Android tablet with immense gaming capabilities. The device features a 8″ IPS display with 1920×1200 resolution, 2GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra K1 processor, 5MP rear and front cameras, and runs on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
The Android-based gamepad received many positive reviews from gamers worldwide. Since it runs on Android, the Nvidia Shield Tablet is open to custom modification, save the fact that you have root access on it. And the good news is that you can now gain root on your Shield Tablet and even install a custom recovery if you wish to. Thus, you can not only install root apps on your device but can also flash custom ROMs and mods to get the most out of your tablet.
The procedure described below and been tested successfully and found working yet we do not endorse any responsibility for the same. If you still want to proceed, do so at your own liability.
Root Nvidia Shield Tablet
- Download Towelroot apk file and copy to your device. Go to official Towelroot site and click the Lambda icon to download it. If that Apk does not work for you, try this one.
- Go to Settings> Security on your device and enable Unknown sources option.
- Install tr.apk file on your device.
- open app drawer and tap make it ra1n button.
- If your Shield Tablet does not reboot, it’s fine but if it does, try the alternate version of Towelroot provided above.
When your device is rooted, install Chainfire’s SuperSU app:
You are all set now and have rooted your Nvidia Shield Tablet.
Install CWM Recovery on Nvidia Shield Tablet
If you also want to install a custom recovery software on your device to create nandroid backup or flash custom mods and ROMs, here’s how you can easily flash CWM Recovery.
- Download the unofficial CWM build for your device: cwm-recovery-nvidia-shield-tab.img
- Copy this file to your device.
Download Flashify app from the Google Play Store:
- Now open Flashify and flash the CWM recovery image file.
Done! You now have root access and ClockworkMod recovery installed on your Nvidia Shield Tablet. Enjoy!