OnePlus, the Chinese smartphone manufacturer launched the latest smartphones in their lineup last year which was named as the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 5T. Now, the company’s first flagship smartphone of the year, the OnePlus 5 was launched in the middle of 2017 with dual camera setup on the back and a premium-looking design with flagship specifications. However, the device came with bezels on the front and bottom which prompted OnePlus to launch a new smartphone with an all-new bezel-less display and the smartphone was named as the OnePlus 5T.
Now, we have known that the OnePlus smartphones are known to have the best support in terms of development which is the case with OnePlus 5T as well. This meant that the smartphone received the custom roms based on latest versions of Android soon after the launch. Now, we have also known that the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 3/3T have received the official Android Oreo update based on OxygenOS. However, the OnePlus 5T has not yet received the official Android Oreo update and the Open Beta of Android Oreo is available for the smartphone.
Now, you might have installed one of the custom ROMs that is available for the OnePlus 5T based on Android 8.1 Oreo which is the latest version of Android. However, it is difficult to go back to stock OxygenOS from the Android 8.1 Oreo-based ROM.
Thus, if you are one of the users of the OnePlus 5T who has flashed the Android 8.1 Oreo ROM on your smartphone then we have attached a tutorial below so that you can restore your smartphone from Android 8.1 Oreo-based ROMs to the Stock OxygenOS ROM based on Android 7.1 Nougat or Android 8.0 Oreo.
Note that if you were running Android 8.1 Oreo-based Custom ROM on your OnePlus 5T then you will not be able to simply return to stock OxygenOS just by clean flashing the stock ROM from TWRP recovery so follow the below tutorial properly in order to successfully return to stock OxygenOS on your OnePlus 5T.
- You need to install ADB and Fastboot on your PC. Follow our tutorial to Install ADB and Fastboot on your Windows PC.
- It is mandatory that your OnePlus 5T is running a custom ROM which is based on Android 8.1 Oreo as this procedure will only work on Android 8.1 Oreo-based ROMs.
- It is recommended to take a full backup of your SD card as well as internal storage so as to not risk losing all the data during this process as all the data will be completely wiped.
- OxygenOS 4.7.6 Stock Recovery
- OxygenOS Open Beta Stock Recovery
- BluSpark TWRP for OnePlus 5T
- OxygenOS 4.7.6 Stock ROM for OnePlus 5T
- OxygenOS Open Beta Stock ROM for OnePlus 5T( Android 8.0 Oreo)
Steps to Restore OnePlus 5T to Stock OxygenOS from Android 8.1 Oreo
- First of all, you need to read and complete all the steps mentioned in the Prerequisites section carefully.
- Also, it is highly recommended that you backup the /sdcard folder on your OnePlus 5T entirely as this is the folder that will be completely wiped during the process.
- Now, you need to flash the stock recovery on your OnePlus 5T from any custom recovery like TWRP.
- In order to flash Stock Recovery, you need to connect your smartphone to the PCvia a USB cable.
- After this, you have to open the folder in which you have installed ADB and Fastboot and open the command prompt window inside the folder.
- Now, you need to download one of the Stock Recovery files from the Downloads section above. If you are restoring to Android Nougat then you need to download OxygenOS 4.7.6 Stock Recovery otherwise you need to download OxygenOS Open Beta Stock Recovery for Android Oreo
- After downloading the recovery, move the recovery file to the ADB folder and enter the following command
fastboot flash recovery stock_recovery.img
- Once you have flashed Stock Recovery, switch off your OnePlus 5T and boot into recovery by pressing Volume Down + Power button simultaneously.
- In Recovery. go to Wipe Data and Cache, select Reset system setting option and Erase everything.
- Now, boot into TWRP directly from recovery by downloading the BluSpark TWRP file mentioned in the Downloads section.
- Once downloaded, you need to enter the following command inside command prompt which will boot your OnePlus 5T into TWRP recovery.
fastboot boot twrp-recovery.img
- In TWRP recovery, download and transfer the OxygenOS 4.7.6 Stock ROM or OxygenOS Open Beta Stock ROM from the Downloads section on your OnePlus 5T’s internal storage.
- Now, select the Stock ROM zip file that you have downloaded and flash it inside TWRP.
- Once flashed, you just need to reboot your OnePlus 5T normally and you will have Stock Recovery and Stock OxygenOS on your smartphone.
Once you have followed all the steps mentioned in the above tutorial properly, you will have a fully Stock OnePlus 5T running OxygenOS from any Android 8.1 Oreo-based Custom ROM.