OnePlus launched its flagship smartphone in 2017 which also became the successor to the earlier flagship smartphone from OnePlus which was the OnePlus 3 and the OnePlus 3T. Now, the latest smartphone from OnePlus was named as the OnePlus 5 as the company skipped the number 4 due to superstitions in Chinese markets. Now, the announcement of OnePlus 5’s launch was made by the company in the middle of 2017 and the launch, as well as sales of the OnePlus 5, began soon after the announcement in most of the countries around the world including India and the US.
Now, we know that the OnePlus 5 was launched with a Dual camera setup on the back which was the primary feature of the smartphone. Apart from that, the smartphone had narrower bezels on the top and bottom than its predecessor. On the bottom of the display, the OnePlus 5 has a fingerprint sensor which is also used as a home button. Other than that, the build quality of the OnePlus 5 is extremely premium and feels like a flagship device in all senses.
Also, we have known that the company launched its latest device of 2017 with Android 7.1 Nougat which was the latest version of Android at the time of launch of this smartphone. However, the launch of next version of Android was done soon after the launch of OnePlus 5 and the next version of Android was named as Android 8.0 Oreo. Therefore, the users of the OnePlus 5 had been waiting for the release of Android Oreo update for their devices.
Regarding the Android Oreo update for the OnePlus 5, OnePlus released the official Android Oreo update for the OnePlus 5 at the end of 2017 but the OxygenOS 5.0 update was later pulled by OnePlus due to the bugs that the users were facing after updating to the latest version. Later, OnePlus released the OxygenOS 5.0.1 update which came with Android Oreo.
Now, OnePlus 5 users are receiving a new update which installs OxygenOS 5.0.2 on the device and it comes with Android 8.0 Oreo as well. However, the major change in this update is the addition of Face Unlock feature on the OnePlus 5 which was introduced by OnePlus on the OnePlus 5T.
Talking about Face Unlock feature, it is similar to the iPhone X’s Face ID feature which unlocks the phone by face recognition technology. It is worth noting that the iPhone X comes with dedicated sensors for Face ID but there are no such sensors on the OnePlus 5T and it has been included by software-backed face recognition.
Now, you will want to install the latest update on your OnePlus 5 to get the Face Unlock feature on your device as quickly as possible and we have included the complete tutorial to update to the latest version of OxygenOS on your OnePlus 5 below so make sure to follow the steps properly and enjoy the latest update on your smartphone.
- Added Face unlock function
- Applied CPU security patch: CVE-2017-13218
- General bug fixes and improvements
- Updated Launcher to v2.2
- Updated Gallery to v2.0
- Updated Weather to v1.9
- Updated File Manager to v1.7.6
- Enhanced EIS for video recording
- You need to have at least 50% or more battery on your phone in order to continue with this process of installing the update
- It is also recommended to take a complete backup of your OnePlus 5 so that you do not risk losing important data from your smartphone during the update installation process.
Steps to download and install OxygenOS 5.0.2 update on OnePlus 5
- First of all, you will have to download the OxygenOS 5.0.2 update zip file from the Downloads section above
- Once you have downloaded the zip file, transfer the file to the root of your SD card
- After this, go to your phone’s Settings and click on System updates
- In System Updates, you have to click on the Gear icon seen on the top-right corner which will open the Settings of System updates.
- Now, click on “Local Upgrade” in Settings and you should see the OTA zip file which was downloaded and moved to the root folder on your SD card
- Now, you have to click on this OTA zip file and you will get a popup to ask if you want to upgrade to the latest OTA update.
- Then, click on Upgrade Now and your device will reboot after the update has been installed and you will be upgraded to the latest OxygenOS 5.0.2 update on OnePlus 5
Now, you will have OxygenOS 5.0.2 update on your OnePlus 5 which comes with many new features once you follow all the steps mentioned in the above tutorial properly.
However, if you are facing any problems during the installation of this latest update then feel free to comment in our comments section below and we will be happy to solve any of your problems regarding the OnePlus 5’s update installation.