If rumors are to be believed, then the 2nd Gen Moto X may not receive any further updates. So you may never see the Official Marshmallow firmware from Google on your Moto X 2014 device. However, you can still get unofficial Marshmallow support with custom ROMS or ports. However, before you start tinkering with your device, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your device. It is the first step towards installing a custom ROM, setting up TWRP recovery or gaining root access. Luckily, the Verizon carrier just announced that the Verizon Moto X 2014 now officially supports the bootloader unlocking procedure.
If you own this device and want to unlock the bootloader, then follow the tutorial. New devices need to accept the unlocking agreement from their manufacturers in order to unlock their devices and the procedure has been made secure with a unique bootloader unlock code for every device. This method has been tested on many Motorola devices and now officially available for Verizon variant of Moto X 2nd Gen.
Moreover, this process may factory reset your Moto X and you may lose your data in the process. Hence, it is highly recommended that you backup all your apps and data before you proceed. You must agree to all the terms in the tutorial to get your bootloader unlocked.
Warning: Unlocking bootloader on you device may void the warranty. Once you login to Motorola’s website and request the unlock code, you may no longer be eligible to claim warranty. Moreover, we at DroidViews, won’t be responsible for any damage to your device whatsoever.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the minimal ADB and Fastboot tool from here (unzip it) or get the quick ADB and Fastboot Installer from here. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install Motorola USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer Options and Enable OEM Unlock, if such an option is available.
How to Officially Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Moto X 2014
- Make sure you have setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Power off your device and keep it unplugged from your PC.
- Boot into bootloader. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds. Once you see the bootloader screen, plug in your device to the PC.
- Navigate to the location where your ADB and Fastboot is installed. While the folder with ADB and Fastboot files is open, right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window. If you have Quick Fastboot Installer, then just open command prompt window as an administrator.
- Now issue the following command in cmd to get a code. Now, before you issue the code, make sure you provide the path of your Fastboot folder replacing the $ sign. If you use the Quick Fastboot Installer, then you don’t need to use the $ sign. Use only the code.
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- You should see device information shown below:
(bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
- Copy the code that is shown and paste it somewhere like a notepad. Right click on the top of the cmd window (title bar) and click Edit->Mark then highlight the code and right click on the title bar and select Edit->copy.
- Once you have copied the code. Go to Unlock Page or go to Motorola’s page and click Unlock Bootloader and select your device.
- Accept the agreement and login/create an account to get the unlock key.
- Paste code from the command prompt and click “Can my device be unlocked“.
- Agree to terms and click “Request Unlock Key” which will send you an email.
- Once you get the email with your unlock code, type the following in command prompt and replace YOURKEY with the key from the email.
$ fastboot oem unlock YOURKEY
- This will unlock your bootloader. Reboot to system.
You should now have an unlocked bootloader on your Moto X 2nd Gen 2014. Your device is now ready to be tinkered. For any queries, comment down below.