The Samsung Galaxy S8 did not see a lot of improvements in the camera department compared to its predecessor. Yet it has one of the best smartphone cameras around on flagships today. But not matter how good a smartphone camera is, it can always be improved to suit the user’s preferences. For instance, maybe you don’t like the default bit rate for recorded videos or you would like to fine-tune the quality of the JPEGs saved when you take a picture. These are settings that most manufacturer won’t make available for the users. That could be attributed to the fact that most users would never even bother with them either. But if you’re one of those who would, you’ll probably love the Zero Camera Mod for the Samsung Galaxy S8 by XDA dev zeroprobe.
The Zero Camera Mod enabled the use of HDR while recording in 4K or QHD and also enabled Autofocus tracking in all of the camera modes. Some of the other things it does is remove the 10-minute time limit of 4K video recording as well as 1080p recording at 60fps. Here’s a quick rundown of all the features.
- HDR for 4K / QHD
- AutoFocus Tracking all modes
- No Recording Time Limits
- Increased Bitrates
- Increased JPG quality for single and burst shots.
- Installs latest Samsung Camera revision
- Video Effects for modes 4K / QHD
The mod is available in the form of a flashable zip that you can flash from the TWRP custom recovery. It swaps the stock camera app installed on your phone with a modified version of it with the version number 18.104.22.168. If you’d like more control on the values set by the mod, the developer also provides a paid app that you can download from the Google Play Store. The app will, of course, require root access. The paid app has a couple of extra features which include allowing you to select a default gallery app that appears on the camera interface. The other feature lets you enable camera flash even when your battery is at 15% or less.
Listed below are the default values set by the flashable mod zip.
- JPG quality – 96 > 98
- JPG burst quality – 92 > 98
- 4K – 48mbps > 62mbps
- 1080p60 – 28mbps > 36mbps
- 1440p – 25mbps > 32mbps
- 1080p – 17mbps > 22mbps
- 720p – 12mbps > 16mbps
- Slow Motion 240fps – 72mbps > 100mbps
- Camera Mod S8 - Bitrate & Settings [ROOT] Price: $3.99
- Download Zero Camera Mod flashable zip – zeroCameraS8_7080_v2.zip
- Restore stock Samsung Camera – camera_restore_S8.zip
- If you choose to go the paid app root, you will still need a rooted Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+
- If you are happy just flashing the mod, you will also require a working TWRP recovery installed on your Galaxy S8.
How to install Zero Camera mod on Samsung Galaxy S8 /S8+
- Download the flashable zip from the download section above and transfer it to your Galaxy S8 device.
- Power off your phone and enter recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Bixby, and Power keys together for a few seconds. Release all the keys when you see the Android logo.
- Your device should now boot into TWRP recovery.
- Once in the recovery, select Install and navigate to the downloaded zip file.
- Select the file and swipe to flash it. The process shouldn’t take longer than a few seconds.
- Once complete, you should see a Reboot system button at the bottom. Tap on it to normally boot your phone.
- If you ever want to go back to your previous stock camera, simply flash the camera restore zip in TWRP.
Don’t miss: How to Change CSC on Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+
Camera Mod S8 app by zeroprobe
As already mentioned, there’s an independent app for the same mod available on the Google Play Store. Once granted root access, it can let you update your stock camera app to version 22.214.171.124 and also switch it back to the previous version at the tap of a button. As seen in the screenshot above, it even enables opening a photo with any gallery app of your choice instead of the stock Samsung gallery app. Users can also set their own preferred values for JPG quality and bit rate at 4K, QHD, 1080p 60fps, 1080p, 720p resolutions for video recording.