A few days ago Samsung announced to release an Ice Cream Sandwich update for SGS2 which would arrive about the end of March. However, a new Ice Cream Sandwich ROM has been leaked for the Samsung Galaxy S2. The latest release brings the firmware to version XXLPH , and is based on Android is 4.0.3 . This ROM is working fine and everything is working fine. The new firmware is reported to be most stable Ice Cream Sandwich build for the Samsung Galaxy S2.
Features of XXLPH ICS Firmware:
- Interface: Kind of 3D effect when scrolling.
- Battery life seems to be better than XXLPB.
- Touch sensitivity is not so good as XXLPB.
- Better in look and feel than XXLPB .
- Facelock is working fine.
- Task Manager is same as it was in version XXLPB.
Please take note that all the powerful capabilities mentioned above come with a little price, and that is a little bit risk. Rooting or flashing Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 will void it’s warranty. If you can afford this like millions of other Android users, follow the instructions given below. Droidviews will not be liable for any mishap.
You must have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 to flash this or any other custom ROM. If you have not done that yet, root it now. Read our easy tutorial:
Before we begin flashing a new firmware, please follow the hints given below.
- Do not forget to back up your important data stored on the device: messages, log, contacts, bookmarks, apps, etc. To backup data, you can use Samsung Kies, Google Sync, Titanium Backup, Perfect Backup, etc. MyBackup Root, SMS Backup & Restore, and Call Backup & Restore are all free applications that can help you in backing up your data.
- Make sure that Samsung Kies is installed on your PC. If not, Download and install the Samsung USB Drivers: Download
- Make sure that your phones’s battery level is not less than 70 percent.
- Make sure that USB Debugging is enabled on the Galaxy S2 (Settings » Applications » Development » USB debugging).
- Download and extract the ROM file packed in zip: I9100XXLPH.zip | 377.8 MB
- Download and extract the Odin3-v1.85: Download
- Having taking care of all the precautions mentioned above, you are now ready to flash your phone. Just follow the simple steps given below:
- Ensure that USB Debugging is on, then switch off the device.
- Now you will have to boot the device into Download Mode. To do this, press the Volume Down+Home+Power buttons simultaneously. Press the Volume Up button to continue. See the pictures below:
BOOTLOADER: 'I9100_APBOOT_I9100XXLPH_CL118559_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5'. PDA: 'I9100_CODE_I9100XXLPH_CL118559_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5'. PHONE: 'MODEM_I9100XXLPH_REV_02_CL1104396.tar.md5'. CSC: 'GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXALPH.tar.md5'.
(See Image below carefully to understand which files to select) 5. Connect your phone to the PC via USB. When you do this the ID:Com section on Odin must turn yellow. If it doesn’t, do not proceed to the next step.
6. Finally, click on Start. Your phone will reboot on success. If it doesn’t, re-insert the battery and boot your phone into download mode. You need to repeat the procedure again if you fail to do it in the first try.
Having going through all steps, you phone will reboot and you will have ICS 4.0.3 XXLPH firmware running on your Samsung Galaxy S2. If you face any issues, feel free to drop comment below. Also share with us your experience with the all new Ice Cream Sandwich ROM.