Samsung recently started with the Beta program to test the Marshmallow builds of the Touchwiz UI for Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge devices. Although the beta program has now ended there are many users who were able to enroll to the beta program and are running Marshmallow build on their device. This guide aims to help these users in installing TWRP Recovery on their Galaxy S6.
You must be familiar with TWRP if you are already into rooting game, but if you are new at it let me clear things for you. TWRP or Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery that provides many functions that are not available on your stock recovery. It can be used to flash ROMs, Mods, make nandroid backups, restore for backups, wipe data or any other partition of your device. TWRP is a powerful tool that helps developers and Android power users to make their life easier.
If you are a regular at Droidviews you must have read the article on rooting the Beta Android Marshmallow build on the Galaxy S6, the method described on that guide was a bit complicated as there was no custom recovery with Marshmallow support back then. But with this TWRP recovery, rooting your device is just a matter of flashing SuperSU in the TWRP. Now without further ado let get’s start with the guide.
Things You Will Need
- Galaxy S6 with Marshmallow firmware installed
- ODIN 3.10.7
- TWRP for Galaxy S6
Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S6 Marshmallow
- Download the TWRP file and ODIN linked above on your PC.
- Download and Install the Usb drivers linked above, if you don’t have them already.
- Boot your Galaxy S6 into download mode, to do so Power off your device. Then press and hold Power, Home and Volume Down key for few seconds. You will see a warning on your phone, press Volume Up to boot into Download mode.
- Extract Odin v3.10.7.zip on your PC and run Odin3 v3.10.7.exe.
- Now connect your Galaxy S6 which has been booted into Download mode to your PC using a USB cable.
- Connecting your device will turn the upper left box on Odin blue and log will show the message as Added as shown on the screenshot below.
- If Odin fails to recognize your device try to install Usb drivers on your PC or try using another Usb port.
- Now extract the TWRP zip file to get the .tar file, then in Odin click the AP button and browse for this .tar file.
- Now click Start button to begin the process, this will take only a few seconds and then your device would Reboot.
To access the freshly installed custom recovery (TWRP), you need to Power off your device and then press and hold Power, Home, and Volume Up keys for few seconds. This will boot your device into Recovery mode, you can now perform any action that you would like on the newly installed TWRP. The first thing I would suggest is to make a backup of your current ROM, before flashing anything on it.
Root Galaxy S6 with Marshmallow Firmware
- Download the SuperSU.zip file linked above and copy it to your device.
- Boot your device in the recovery mode as stated above.
- Once TWRP has booted, select Install zip and then browse for the SuperSU zip file which you just downloaded.
- Swipe to confirm the Installation.
- Reboot your device.
Easily root your Galaxy S6 using TWRP recovery for Marshmallow firmware. Take advantage of the other features available in the TWRP custom recovery like Backup/Restore etc. on your Galaxy S6 with Marshmallow firmware. Do let us know any queries you might have regarding the installation procedure in the comments section below.