The V10 is the latest flagship phone from LG and comes bundled with some unbeatable specifications. It has a stunning user interface, that LG is know for. The most intriguing feature is the dual screen that fits alongside the primary display. Moreover, the TWRP and root method for the device are already available and many V10 users have modified their system in order to gain privileged control over their device.
However, in order to receive further updates from the manufacturer, you will need to be on the stock firmware and should have stock recovery installed. This is because, a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM cannot install the OTA updates. A stock recovery and an unmodified system is required. To do so, we have created this tutorial that will install stock recovery on your LG V10.
Moreover, a Marshmallow update has been promised by the manufacturer to the device and the OTA update can hit the device anytime soon. Hence, in order to get the update as soon it’s released, restore your device back to stock along with the stock recovery.
So let’s begin with flashing the stock recovery by issuing some fastboot commands. Before you proceed, be sure you have stock firmware on your device.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you already have rooted your device. We at DroidViews, are not responsible for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick your device. This not an official procedure. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Stock Recovery — Download | Stock recovery for LG V10 (File: stock_recovery.img)
Backup Apps and Data
While this process should not wipe any of your data, a backup is highly recommended. Once you install a custom recovery like TWRP, make sure you backup your system, data,etc. from the recovery. It will be helpful in case anything goes wrong.
- This guide is compatible with LG V10 only. Do not try it on any other device or variant.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the minimal ADB and fastboot tool from here (unzip it) or get the quick ADB and fastboot installer from here.
- Install LG USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow oem unlock.
How to Install Stock Recovery on LG V10
- Download the recovery image file. Extract if in case a zip file. Now transfer the file to your PC where you can easily locate it.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. Also accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the recovery file. Rename the recovery file to a simple one, like recovery.img. While the folder with recovery.img file is open, hold shift key on keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
- Boot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, issue the following command through your cmd or terminal, while connected to the PC in order to boot into the bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now issue the following command in the command prompt to check your device connectivity. It should give device info otherwise install the fastboot drivers again.
- Now flash custom recovery. Issue the following command for that.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Stock recovery will now be installed on your device. You can now boot your phone in recovery mode. You can do this by turning your device off and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. Or you can simply enter the following command.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Reboot to system.
Once you have the stock recovery and stock firmware, you can now receive OTA updates for your ssystem. Alternatively, while on Linux or Mac OS, you can issue “./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” command to flash the TWRP recovery.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.