Sony has been testing out its concept of AOSP ROMs for a while now. They started with the Lollipop builds for Xperia Z series devices earlier, and now they have started testing Marshmallow builds for the Xperia Z series devices. These builds are based on the stock Android and have minimal customizations. Now you can install Sony’s Concept Software(Android 6.0.1) on Xperia Z3 Compact.
The following guide will help you install Sony’s Concept ROM on your sony Xperia Z3 Compact. The guide also covers the steps to root your device and also the steps to install Xposed framework on your device. If you do not need root and Xposed you should stop at step 4 ‘Install the ROM’, else if you need them you may continue to follow all the steps in this guide.
Do take a backup of your important data on your device as proceeding with this guide will wipe everything off your device. Sony’s concept builds aren’t the final builds and are meant for testing purposes only, so they might have few bugs here and there, please keep this in mind before proceeding.
Warning: During this process, you will wipe your phone and unlock your bootloader, so make backups of everything you need.
Things to Download
- FTF file(ROM)
- SuperSU 2.65
- TWRP Recovery
- Xposed apk
- Xposed installer v79
- Fastboot driver
- TA backup tools
Steps to Follow
- Make sure your bootloader is locked, and can be unlocked. To check this, go to dialer app, press *#*#7378423#*#*, service info->configuration, under “Rooting status”, “bootloader unlock allowed” should say Yes. Notice that at the top of your screen says IMEI, note down that number down, you will need it later.
- First of all, download all the necessary files:
- Backup TA Partition
- Unzip the TA backup tools downloaded in step 1.
- Connect your phone to the computer. Run backup-ta.bat.
- Follow the instructions.
- Installing the ROM
- Now, install Flashtool. Once installed, go to “C:\Flashtool\drivers” and install flash mode and fastboot drivers(You will need to disable driver signature verification on windows 8/8.1/10).
- Take the ftf file previously downloaded and move it to “C:\Users\username\.flashTool\firmwares”.
- Open Flashtool, click on Flash device-> Flash mode. The FTF should appear on the list. Check Wipe APPS_LOG and USERDATA. Click Flash and follow the instructions. If it asks to use a script, click no.
- This process may take a while, be patient.
- Boot your phone normally, you should be on Concept version 2157.
- Go to Settings-> About device-> Software update.
- You should have an update available, take it. Your phone will reboot and install the update. Repeat this step until you don’t have any more updates.
- Okay, until now you have installed latest unmodified Sony’s Concept ROM, if you don’t need root or Xposed, that’s it, you have finished!
- Unlocking the Bootloader
- Warning: Unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty and makes you lose some stuff, as detailed here.
- So make sure to make the TA backup in order to recover those things when you relock your bootloader in the future if you want.
- To begin, you need your IMEI number, that you noted in step 0.
- Go to the following web page.
- Select Xperia Z3 Compact, click Continue, enter your email address
- Click the link they sent you via email. Enter your IMEI, click Submit.
- At the bottom of the page there will be a code, similar to “fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xA8873D989C26BBBB“, copy it.
- Now, install Minimal Fastboot and ADB on your PC using this guide.
- Turn off your phone. Press the volume up button, and while doing this, connect the phone to your computer. It should boot into fastboot mode.
- Now open Minimal Fastboot and ADB using the shortcut at your desktop.
- Type “fastboot devices” in the command window. See if your device shows up. If not, you did something wrong with your drivers.
- Now copy the line you copied in step 7 and hit enter.
- Your bootloader is now unlocked. Reboot your phone, it will wipe all your data, so you have a fresh install of the system.
- Installing Custom Recovery
- Enter again into fastboot mode. That means, turn off your phone, hold volume up, and connect it to your PC.
- Copy the TWRP Recovery downloaded in step 1 to the folder where you installed Minimal Fastboot and ADB usually “C:\Program Files\Minimal Fastboot and ADB”.
- Rename it to “twrp.img”.
- Open a Minimal Fastboot and ADB.
- Type “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img”.
- That’s it, now you have TWRP installed.
- Rooting Your Device
- Copy “SuperSU 2.65” downloaded in step 1 to your phone.
- Enter Recovery mode. (Easiest way is: enter fastboot, use volume keys until “recovery mode” is selected and press the power button to enter it.)
- Click Install, search for “SuperSU 2.65”, swipe to confirm. Reboot your phone.
- Done, you are now rooted!
- Installing Xposed Framework
- Copy “Xposed installer” and “Xposed apk” to your phone.
- Enter Recovery mode.
- Flash “Xposed installer”.
- Reboot your device.
- Install “Xposed apk.
Enjoy Sony’s concept of Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 on your Xperia Z3 Compact. Do let us know your views on the Sony’s concept of Android Marshmallow. Also, drop your queries in the comments section below.