Over the past few days, we’ve seen Galaxy S8 ROM ports for the Galaxy S7, S7 Edge and Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. Moving further down the Samsung flagship lineup, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge too now have a Galaxy S8 ROM port. Developed by XDA senior member and developer, AlexisXDA, this ROM port is called Noble Nougat Experience 4.0. It is based on the official Galaxy S8 firmware with the latest March security patch. The ROM has been deodexed, de-Knoxed and zipaligned for a smooth performance and an improved battery life.
Even though the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge got their Android 7.0 updates from Samsung, their UI was still the same. Noble ROM brings the latest, more streamlined user interface from the Galaxy S8 to these older flagships. This includes the new Samsung Experience UX (TouchWiz), new icons, launcher, wallpapers and a plethora of system changes and upgrades. Magisk 12.0 is pre-installed in the ROM along with a few other extras. For instance, a floating camera button from Galaxy A5 2017.
It also includes the option to use a dual speaker surround sound mod, font packages, and emojis. The ROM comes packed in a flashable AROMA installer package so users will have the luxury of choosing which features they want, or don’t want. Noble Nougat ROM is stable for the most part and good enough for a daily driver but there are a few issues users may face. For example, the older screenshot button combo doesn’t seem to work, and there might also be some issues regarding video calls. However, there’s a still a way to capture screenshots by using the Volume Down + Power key combination.
AlexisXDA’s Noble ROM works on all variants of the Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F, SM-G920FD, SM-G920I, SM-G920K, SM-G920L, SM-G920S) and Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925F, SM-G920FD, SM-G925I, SM-G925K, SM-G925L, SM-G925S).
Installing custom ROMs is a risky procedure and even the most experienced flashers can often make mistakes. This can result in a bricked device, so only proceed if you know what you’re doing. We take no responsibility for anything.
- A Galaxy S6 or Galaxy s6 Edge.
- TWRP custom recovery should already be installed. Follow our guide on how to install TWRP and root Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge on Android 7.0 Nougat.
Install Samsung Galaxy S8 ROM Port on Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge
- Download the Noble Nougat Experience 4.5 STABLE S8 PORT and transfer the file to your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge.
- Power off your device.
- Press and Hold the Power Button, Volume Up Button, and the Home Button at the same time until you see some blue text on your screen.
- Let go of the buttons when you see Recovery booting.
- Your device should now boot into TWRP recovery.
- Once here, we highly recommend that you select Backup, and take a complete Nandroid backup of every partition just to make sure you can get back to how things are.
- Now go to Wipe> Advanced Wipe and select everything except the internal and external storage. Swipe right to wipe all the data.
- To install the ROM, select Install from the TWRP menu and then browse to the downloaded ROM zip.
- Select the ROM and then swipe right to flash it.
- You will now be taken to the AROMA installer where you can select various options and features to install or remove.
- Tap reboot when the installation is complete.
The first boot will take a while, which you may already know unless this is your first time. When the phone boots up, you can enjoy the Galaxy S8 experience.