Custom ROMs and mods are the most beautiful things about Android. And while most Android smartphones owners might feel happy because of the plethora of development activity around them, the tablet devices are not that lucky (Nexus 7 & 10 are exceptions). Despite of their popularity, they have not been able to drag the attention of our developers towards them.
The Galaxy Note 10.1 range of tablets devices from Samsung are one of the best selling gadgets on the planet but if you search for a good custom ROM for them, you might end in a void. The desolate scenario, however, is now changing as we can now see some greenery. One of the best custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy devices has now hit our Galaxy Note 10.1 and its variants. The Omega ROM is available for these models of the device: GT-N8000, N8010 and N8013.
I have always been a fan of the Omega ROM and have been already enjoying it on my S2 and S3. If you have got bored of looking at the same UI of your Note 10.1 and want some change, this is a high time to switch to a custom ROM that is more stable in performance, faster in response and better in battery life.
The first difference that you’ll notice after installing the Omega ROM on your Galaxy Note 10.1 is the dark user interface instead of the stock light one. The developer has removed all bloatwares (seldom used apps) and cleaned all unnecessary system files that eat RAM and make device slow and laggy. There is an app called Omega Settings for customization of device and setting toggles.
Omega is the best options for a custom ROM out of a few custom ROMs available for Galaxy Note 10.1. It is based on the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware released by Samsung for the device but its takes away all rubbish from it and adds a lot of new features that you would not have seen on the stock firmware.
Feature of Omega ROM for Galaxy Note 10.1:
The Omega ROM is a performance oriented and feature-stuffed treat. The ROM is installed via Aroma installer which stands you in a position where you can choose what you want to install on your device. You get all options during installation. Here are some of its features-
- Support for N8000 + N8010 + N8013
- efs (IMEI) Backup option
- Omegadroid Walk Bootanimation
- Omega Files app
- Omega Settings app
- Option to flash any bloat or app later
- Google apps from Android 4.2
- Keyboard Android with Gesture Typing from Android 4.2
- Omegas add-on applications: Es File Explorer, Hide It Pro, ZArchiver, Adfree etc.
- Flash player Support
- SPenBoard Switcher
- Multi-Window Manager
- Samsung’s Task Manager Shortcut apps
- All supported languages enabled
- Battery % mod
- Omega Settings app: Ink Effect on-off, Choose any color for ink effect, Auto Recording options with on-off, Set End Call delay, Blocking mode
- Shutdown Animation
- Smaller Multi-Window Buttons
- Deodexed + Rooted + Zipaligned
- Lots more…
The above list should be more than enough to give you a sneak peek into what the Omega ROM has to offer and how it can make your smart tablet even smarter.
Download the latest Omega ROM for Galaxy Note 10.1: Link
Please note that the ROM supports the 3 variants of the device with model number GT-N8000, GT-N8010, and GT-N8013. The same ROM file can be flashed all three models.
Though the procedure described below has been tested and found working, it’s our duty to warn you that it is not risk-free if you make a mistake. It’s safe as long as you are careful. Stick to the rules and you’ll land safely. Neither Indie, the developer, nor DroidViews should be held responsible for any mishap. Proceed only if you agree to the terms and understand what it is all about.
Root Your Galaxy Note 10.1 First:
To be able to install a custom ROM on your device you need to do 2 things first: root it and install a custom recovery like ClockworkMod recovery on it. If you have not yet rooted your Note 10.1 yet, head over to our Rooting Tutorial for the device.
How to Install Custom ROMs on Galaxy Note 10.1:
If you are ready to experience some sense of adventure, here is how you can install any custom ROM on your Galaxy Note 10.1.
- Download the ROM file in zip (do not extract) and copy it to your Note 10.1 by connecting it to computer via a USB cable.
- Charge your device to have at least 70% battery juice.
- Backup all important data such as contacts, call-log, messages, apps, etc. using these free apps.
- Open Settings> Developer options and turn on USB Debugging.
Having ensured the above preparatory steps, let’s now install the ROM. Just follow the steps given below and you are good to go:
- Turn off your device and boot it into CWM Recovery mode. You can do this easily by using the following apps, or manually as follows. Press and hold Volume Down + Power keys simultaneously till the screen turns up and Samsung logo with device model name blinks for two times. Then release the power key but keep the Volume Down key pressed till you see 2 icons. Use Volume Down key to navigate between the icons, highlight the left icon and press Volume Up to select it. In the recovery mode use the volume keys to scroll the list or highlight an option and the Power key to select it.
- The first thing that you should do after entering the recovery is to backup your current ROM so that you might restore it later any time you want. Scroll to “backup and restore” and backup the ROM (preferably to external SD card).
- Now go back and “wipe data/factory reset” , then “wipe cache partition”.
- After that, go to “advanced” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to main menu in recovery using “+++go back+++” option and select “install zip from sdcard> choose zip from sdcard” and select the ROM file from the location where you copied it.
- Confirm you choice by selecting “yes”. This will launch the Aroma installer where you will be asked to make selections according to your preferences. On the final screen you will see reboot option. Tap it.
- In case, you are installing a ROM that does not have aroma, you’ll have to return to main menu in Recovery when installation is complete and select “reboot system now”.
Your Galaxy Note 10.1 will boot now and will take a few minutes to boot up. Wait patiently till you see Omega boot screen followed by the welcome screen where you will have to go through primary set-up and then you’ll be able to use your device. Enjoy!
Also Try This ROM!