Almost all variants of the Galaxy S7 have already received the Nougat update and now the Korean giant seems to have turned its eye to our good old Galaxy S6. While the international models of the phone got the Nougat OTA more than a week ago, the users of the AT&T variant have not started receiving it.
Since the full Android Nougat firmware for the device is not available anywhere, you will have to flash the OTA zip packages depending on your current firmware version in incremental order. In this tutorial, we’ll see how we can install Android Nougat on s6.
If you have not been able to get the official Nougat OTA on your AT&T Galaxy S6 (SM-G920A) or S6 Edge (SM-G925A), you can update your phone’s software by installing the OTA zips provided below.
Please note that your AT&T Galaxy S6/S6 must be fully stock to install the OTA. Though we have taken utmost care in laying out the installation steps, a successful installation depends on how you follow them. Proceed at your own responsibility and don’t go ahead if you don’t understand at all what you are going to do.
Before you proceed, here’re a few preparations you need to make so that things go smooth for you.
- Backup all your data and apps using Smart Switch as a precaution.
- Go to Settings> Personal> Lockscreen and security> Find my mobile and turn off Reactivation Lock.
- Go to Settings> Developer options and enable USB debugging (this is just as a precaution).
- If you have disabled any system apps, please enable them from Settings> Applications or the OTA file installation might fail.
- Charge your Galaxy S6 so that it has 60% battery level at least.
Download OTA Zips for AT&T Galaxy S6 (SM-G920A)
Note: Please read this before you start downloading the OTA zip files linked below. Go to Settings> About device> Software info and check your phone current firmware version. Suppose your Galaxy S6’s firmware version is G920AUCS5DPK5, you need to download and install the file that says PK5 to QA8, then QA8 to QB8 and so on one after another.
Android 6.01 Marshmallow OTA zips
Android 7.0 Nougat OTA zips
Download OTA Zips for AT&T Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925A)
Installing the OTA Zips on AT&T Galaxy S6/ S6 Edge via ADB Sideloading
Warning: if you go for this method, your phone’s apps and data will be wiped.
- Download ADB and fastboot tools and extract the downloaded zip on your desktop.
- Make sure to enable USB Debugging on your phone.
- Install the Samsung USB drivers on your computer.
- Now turn off your Samsung Galaxy S6 and reboot it into the Recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time for 4-6 seconds. When you see the recovery screen, release the 3 keys.
- Scroll down to apply update via adb option using the Volume down key and select it by pressing the Power key.
- Connect your phone to the computer via a USB cable.
- Now open the adb folder, and copy the downloaded update zip file (SS-G925AUCS5DPK5-to-U5EQA8-UP.zip, for example) to it.
- Place the mouse pointer at any empty space inside the folder window, and press Shift + right click on the mouse and select “Open command window here” option.
- When the command window is launched, type the following command and press the Enter key to check that your device is properly connected.
- If you see a string of characters as result, you are good to go.
- Now type the following command followed by the name of the OTA zip file you want to install. Here’s an example:
adb sideload SS-G925AUCS5DPK5-to-U5EQA8-UP.zip
- Press the Enter key.
- You must install the OTA files in incremental order. You also need to wait patiently while the files are installed. Your phone may appear frozen during this process so don’t panic.
Done! Enjoy the newly installed Android Nougat on your AT&T Galaxy S6/S6 Edge.