If you own the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and have been looking for a way to update your device to the recently released Android Nougat, you just landed the right spot. We have been writing tutorials describing updating Samsung Galaxy devices to Nougat using the manual method for the past few months now. Today, we’ll see how to install Android Nougat on AT&T Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920A).
Since the full stock Nougat firmware is not available yet, we’ve managed to capture the OTA update zip file that will upgrade your Note 5’s software to version N920AUCU4EQC6.
Before you proceed, here’re a few preparations you need to make so that things go smooth for you.
- Make sure your phone is fully stock. The OTA package won’t install if it is rooted or has a stock recovery installed on it. If you got a rooted phone install the QB2 firmware first and then you can install the Nougat OTA on your Note 5.
- Flashing the OTA will wipe your phone, so you are advised to backup all your data and apps using Smart Switch as a precaution.
- Go to Settings> Developer options and enable USB debugging (this is just as a precaution).
- If you have disabled any system apps, please enable them from Settings> Applications or the OTA file installation might fail.
- Charge your Galaxy Note 5 so that it has 60% battery level at least.
Download OTA Zips for AT&T Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920A)
Firmware file: N920AUCS4CQB2_Recovery.zip
Having downloaded the Marshmallow firmware, unzip it. You will find 5 files inside the extracted folder:
- AP_N920AUCS4CQB2_CL8961126_QB12615386_REV00_user_low _ship.tar.md5
- BL_N920AUCS4CQB2_CL8961126_QB12615386_REV00_user_low _ship.tar.md5
- CP_N920AUCS4CQB2_CL8961126_QB12615386_REV00_user_low _ship.tar.md5
You need to install the first 4 files using Odin. You can find the detailed instructions on installing the firmware here.
QB2 to QC6 OTA Zip (Nougat): SS-N920AUCS4CQB2-to-U4EQC6-UP.zip
Go to Settings> About device> Software info and check your phone current firmware version. If your Galaxy Note 5’s firmware version is N920AUCS4CQB2, you just download the N920AUCS4CQB2-to-U4EQC6 update zip file and install it using our instructions provided below.
In case you Note 5 is running any other version than QB2, you must install the full N920AUCS4CQB2 firmware first and then install the QC6 (Nougat) OTA zip file.
Installing the OTA Zip on AT&T Galaxy Note 5 SM-N920A via ADB Sideloading
Warning: if you go for this method, your phone’s apps and data will be wiped.
- Download ADB and fastboot tools and extract the downloaded zip on your desktop.
- Make sure to enable USB Debugging on your phone.
- Now turn off your AT&T Note 5 and reboot it into the Recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time for 4-6 seconds. When you see the recovery screen, release the 3 keys.
- Scroll down to apply update via adb option using the Volume down key and select it by pressing the Power key.
- Connect your phone to the computer via a USB cable.
- Now open the adb folder, and copy the update zip file (SS-N920AUCS4CQB2-to-U4EQC6-UP.zip, for example) inside it.
- Place the mouse pointer at any empty space inside the ADB folder window, and press Shift + right click on the mouse and select “Open command window here” option.
- When the command window is launched, type the following command and press the Enter key to check that your device is properly connected.
- If you see a string of characters as result, you are good to go.
- Now type the following command followed by the name of the OTA zip as shown below.
adb sideload SS-N920AUCS4CQB2-to-U4EQC6-UP.zip
- After that, press the Enter key.
- You must install the OTA files in incremental order. You also need to wait patiently while the files are installed. Your phone may appear frozen during this process so don’t panic.
Done! Enjoy the newly installed Android Nougat on your AT&T Galaxy Note 5.