Android Marshmallow is the Google’s latest operating system available for Nexus and Android One devices right now, with support for more devices to come in near future. As you would know Nexus line of devices is the first one’s to receive the Android updates. Unfortunately this time Nexus 7 2012 model couldn’t make it to the list of devices to receive the update for Android M.
Nexus 7 2012 may not receive the official Android M update but that doesn’t mean that you would not be able to run Android M on your Nexus tablet. Xda member dmitrygr has been able to compile a working build of Android M on his Nexus 2012 Wifi model. He states that he has pulled some ‘cool hacks‘ in order to get Android M working on this device. If you are a developer yourself or have experience of building ROMs yourself, you can follow the devs guide to build Android M for Nexus 7 2012, linked here.
If you don’t have enough experience to build a ROM yourself or you are a bit lazy to do it yourself, you can follow this guide to get Android M on your Nexus 7. This guide will help you install Android M on your Nexus 7 with few easy and simple steps.
Warning: Although everything seems to be working in this ROM, you are on your own if you mess things up and end up bricking your device.
Things You Will Need
- Nexus 7 2012 Wifi Model with a Custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM installed.
- Gapps package for Android Marshmallow: working-marshmallow-gapps.zip
Steps To Follow
- Download the ‘grouper-M-TWRP_v1.1.zip‘ from the link given above. Also, download the Gapps package linked above.
- Copy the zip files to your device.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the custom Recovery installed on your device.
- Boot your device into Recovery mode.
- Select Factory Reset and confirm to factory reset your device.
- Then go into Advanced Wipe and check mark Data, System, Cache and Dalvik Cache, confirm to perform the wipes.
- Go back to the main screen of the recovery and select Install Zip file. Browse for the file you just downloaded and confirm to install it.
- Reboot your recovery. Now again select Install zip and browse for the Gapps package, confirm to install it.
- Reboot your device and wait for the system to boot.
- Enjoy Android M on your Nexus 7.
If you face Google Play Services FCs , go into app settings > Play Services >Permissions and activate or turn on all the permissions. This should stop the force closes.
Try the latest Android M on your Nexus 7 2012 WiFi model with everything working. Leave us your feedback about the Google’s latest iteration of Android and how does it perform on your device. Also let us know if you have any trouble while installing Android M on your device.